Topic: 1949-54 Ford Rear Axle Manual discrepancy?

ohTara    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:00 PM

Hello,
I’m rebuilding a 1949 rear axle and wondering about a contradiction I found in Ford documentation (see attached).

While looking up the pinion seal number, I went back to the '1949-51 Ford Shop Manual' and comparing it to the '1949-54 Ford Parts Catalog' I see that the catalog lists one “Item 4670” (a slinger or splined washer) behind the seal that is not present in my assembly.

Here’s what I know from the disassembly of my 3rd member; There is no tag on my axel, but numbers cast on the 3rd member are "8A4025 3 9146" and stamped into the bottom of the pumpkin is 66? B? and 11 / 41

It’s an original configuration with the rawhide type seal and it absolutely does not have any slinger just as the 1949-51 Ford Shop Manual drawing illustrates.

Attached are the 2 images that conflict with each other.

Would the lack of a slinger in my design be a concern / cause oil leaks?
And also does anyone know of a torque number for the Drive Pinion Shaft Nut?

Thanks for any and all info!

Woody

ohTara    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:01 PM
  And here's the other Pic !

Woody

ford38v8    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:22 PM
  Woodie, Is it possible that your part is an assembly of the 3 parts pictured in the later publication?

Alan

TomO    -- 08-04-2015 @ 8:13 AM
  P/N 8M-4670 was used in the station wagon in 1949-53.

P/N 0A-4670 was used in the 50-53 cars.

This information come from the January 1953 Chassis Parts Catalog. I don't know if this clears it up for you.

Tom

ohTara    -- 08-04-2015 @ 8:30 PM
  Alan,
From the 1949-54 Ford Parts Catalogue expanded drawing, it looks like the splined washer or slinger (that is not present in my assembly) would be the single item forward of the pinion bearing and immediately behind the pinion seal.

Tom,
Good additional information. That may differentiate a splined washer from a ‘normal’ washer that was also used. Would you know if there is there any additional information out there to indicate years where P/N XX-4670 was not used at all in the assembly?

Just to add: In my assembly (minus the washer), there is absolutely no play in the assembly as the “universal Joint flange” or barrel of the yoke mates solid up against the inner ring (center) of the pinion bearing when loaded buy the pinion shaft nut.

And I have found 2 different types of pinion seals out there, a newer type with an open back. And the old school type found in my assembly with a solid back towards the pinion bearing – does that play into it?

I’m hoping something confirms that in some production year washer P/N XX-4670 is not used.
Then there’s the other matter of a preload or torque spec for putting the pinion nut back on after replacing the seal. – Any suggestions?

Woody

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8821