Topic: installing 46 shocks

oldasi    -- 08-02-2015 @ 6:52 PM
  Final got my shocks returned (rebuilt by 5 Points or Classic Auto Shocks in CA) and about to pick them up after a long long wait and install them
Questions, understand they are adjustable, how do you adjust them, can they be set using a torque wrench to get them all the same, if so what should the lbs of torque be, should they be set prior to installation. Any comments greatly appreciated, cheers

ken ct.    -- 08-02-2015 @ 9:45 PM
  Who better to call on your question than "Classic Auto Shocks" of Ca. ????? ken ct.

TomO    -- 08-03-2015 @ 7:43 AM
  A good rebuilder will set them all the same for a 50/50 action. That is the resistance is the same in either direction. This usually give the best ride. The Ford Service letters give a procedure to change the settings.

The Service letters are available in reprint from most vendors.

Tom

oldasi    -- 08-03-2015 @ 9:39 AM
  Ken Ct, in the past its days even weeks for them to return phone calls or reply to emails, took close to a yr for them to rebuild my shocks, was told 2 months turn around. Have put in a call, over a week ago, still no reply. Now hopping they done a good job on rebuilding

ken ct.    -- 08-03-2015 @ 11:24 AM
  You sent them to the wrong people. Bill W. would have been a better choice. ken ct.

oldasi    -- 08-04-2015 @ 3:59 AM
  Ken, just my luck, can you give me his contact info so I have for the future,.........cheers

Drbrown    -- 08-05-2015 @ 8:51 PM
  oldasi: Think I have copy of that Ford Service Letter TomO mentioned. If interested email me and I ck an send it to you.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 8-5-15 @ 8:54 PM

oldasi    -- 08-06-2015 @ 9:39 AM
  Well I final heard from ClassicAuto Shocks, got the following reply to my last email to him ............ "Hello Shocks are preset ready to be installed . all ready filled with shock fluid .you can turn the adjuster on the top of the shaft 180 to change the damping on the shock . Do not go past the stopping shoulder on the shaft . you break the pointer off"

Drbrown    -- 08-08-2015 @ 9:36 AM
  Chris .... My 1946-48 Service Manual indicates following: Picture shows "Factory Setting Mark" on hub of arm that attaches to the center shaft. The "Factory Setting Mark" indicates the "average" setting. Also shows "Needle Valve Pointer" on the center shaft. Needle Valve Pointer indicates the setting. Text says rotate counter-clockwise to decrease resistance .... rotate clockwise to increase resistance. The needle valve adjustment is very sensitive and therefore the pointer should not be moved more than one or two serrations (marked impressions on hub of arm) at a time.

Installation: If car has ball joint or bushing type link, hold/align link to arm of shock and fasten them together. Then place and bolt shock to frame.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8816