Topic: 1935 Door Latch Mechanism

rmetzg    -- 07-31-2015 @ 9:14 AM
  My 1935 2-door, 5-window Deluxe has always had a "sticky" left door latch - it just didn't feel as positive as the one on the right. The left door has no key-lock - it's a standard latch.

Last week, it finally stopped working - both from the outside latch AND the inside handle - only occasionally popping open. I removed the striker plate for now.

I'm trying to determine if I need to buy a new latch mechanism for inside the door, or just a new handle. I suspect the match between the two has rounded out over the years.

The picture attached here shows inside of the door into the latch mechanism itself - looking from the outside in. You can see that there is some rounding present, but not enough in my mind to justify it not working?

I'll post a picture in the next post of the door handle itself - some rounding present there, too. Maybe the combination of the two is enough to prevent it from working, but I don't think this explains why it won't open using the inside handle?

My question - what should I do to get this working again? I could buy all new mechanisms ($250), but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Any experience out there about how I can get this latch working again? I don't have a diagram of the inner workings of the latch or understand how it works. I'm hoping it's something like a spring or something that doesn't require a full replacement.

Many thanks.

rmetzg    -- 07-31-2015 @ 9:17 AM
  Here is a photo of the door handle itself. Some rounding up near one edge, but not a lot. I did insert the handle all the way, then pull it out a quarter inch to see if the less rounded part had a better result. Still no luck.

By the way, the striker itself is VERY hard to move. I have to "persuade" it with a rubber mallet to get it to move. It cannot be pushed in by hand.

trjford8    -- 08-03-2015 @ 12:46 PM
  Your problem is in the latch itself. Remove the latch and examine it on the work bench. If you have to use a mallet on the striker to get it to move you have a problem with the latch.
Remove the latch and clean it up some spray can brake cleaner. Dirt and old grease may be the problem. It may just need to be lubricated and you can do that with some white lithium grease. If it's excessive wear you may find a good used latch or NOS latch on e-Bay. You won't have to pay $250 for a pair.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8811