Topic: 1940 ford standard coupe kick panels

geoford41    -- 07-24-2015 @ 4:53 PM
  I have a set of lebaron boney interior cards and when I went to install the kick panel cards they contacted the bottom bolt on the dash tab on the A pillar. I purchase a set of the kick panel retainers that also were longer than the distance from the floor to the bottom dash tab. Does the card go between the dash tab up approx. 2-2 1/2" or does that get trimmed off or do you notch around the tab? I don't have pictures to post but perhaps someone knows (kube?)
thanks
George

kubes40    -- 07-25-2015 @ 8:32 AM
  George,
I just last week installed these panels and retainers in a '40 coupe I am restoring. The retainers were NOS and measure about 19 1/4". I am not familiar with the reproductions but it appears they are too long.
The panel - where it slips in to the retainer is about 20 1/2" long. The panel should cover the bolt head that fastens the instrument panel to the cowl (post).
I have always trimmed the reproduction card board panels to fit as perfectly as possible. Typically not too much trimming is needed but some...

kenburke    -- 07-25-2015 @ 2:47 PM
  Hi Mike, Just a follow up. Are the panels a heavy cardboard material? Any push pins? or it is held in place by retainer and bottom and front part of the car after proper trim? The correct color? Thanks Ken

kubes40    -- 07-25-2015 @ 3:31 PM
  Ken,
Cardboard - not that heavy really. Perhaps 1/16". Tan in color, closed cars had vertical indentations, about 10 per inch.
Open cars had smooth kick panels and were somewhat "matched" to the interior color. Remember both tan and red leather was available in a '40 convertible.
The vertical retainer at the door edge held the panel in place - no clips.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

geoford41    -- 07-25-2015 @ 7:27 PM
  so if I understand you, the panel is inserted over the bolt head. There is a cut out at the bottom hinge that is open, looks unfinished but I guess that's correct, the retainers at the firewall are missing is this just a thin strip of sheet metal similar to the ones at the B pillar just welded to have the small end of the cardboard kick panel slipped in and held in by the tension of the cardboard. I assume no screws are used as that would damage the firewall or wheel well. correct?

kubes40    -- 07-26-2015 @ 11:10 AM
  Picture attached. Does this help?
There is no other retainer then the one at the hinge "pillar". That particular one is fastened to that post with a number of sheet metal screws.

kenburke    -- 07-26-2015 @ 11:31 AM
  Mike, Really nice photo. Thanks

geoford41    -- 07-26-2015 @ 8:22 PM
  Kube thanks for posting the photos & the info on the retaining method to my original post
Geoford41

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8789