Topic: cutting keys from the key code

forJJ    -- 07-20-2015 @ 6:48 PM
  I am looking for someone to cut me a key from the key code. I removed the cylinder from the spare tire cover, and it has a code on it, but I can't find anyone to to cut it. The local locksmith doesn't have books before 1950.

TomO    -- 07-21-2015 @ 5:45 AM
  Jessers Keys advertises that he can cut a key from the lock code.

Here is a link to an online database of key codes.

http://www.lockcodes.com/demo/index.htm

Tom

mrtexas    -- 07-21-2015 @ 5:12 PM
  I can make some keys for you $10 for 2 including postage. Pay me after you try them out. PM me.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 7-21-15 @ 5:13 PM

kubes40    -- 07-21-2015 @ 5:59 PM
  "32phil" on the Fordbarn does this quite reasonably. He is quite ethical and prompt.

JM    -- 07-22-2015 @ 10:00 AM
  There are three very good Early Ford Locksmith's who are members of Fordbarn and sometime post there. Leon Rowell, 32Phil, and John McClure who goes by FlatHeadCoupe. I have had very good experiences in my dealings with Leon Rowell. Have not used the other two, however, I can tell you I have had some very poor experiences in my past dealings with Jesser's. With all due respect to TomO, I would never consider using his services again.

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-23-15 @ 7:44 AM

40cpe    -- 07-22-2015 @ 11:11 AM
  Leon Rowell cut some keys for me using the codes. Fast turn-around, very reasonable prices, courteous conversation. Very satisfied.

TomO    -- 07-23-2015 @ 7:15 AM
  John,

I have never used Jessers or any of the other locksmiths as I have a great locksmith locally. It is a family business that has been around for more than 60 years and has the old books.

I only recommended them because they advertise in the V-8 Times.

I respect your opinions and am glad that others have chimed in with recommendations based on their experience.

Tom

DD931    -- 07-23-2015 @ 3:15 PM
  I have used 32 Phil with very courteous and quality results. I gave him the code - he cut me the keys! When I tried using Jesser's they wouldn't answer repeated e-mails.

JM    -- 07-27-2015 @ 9:23 PM
  Here is another possibility I should mention. During our time at the Iola car show/swap meet, a couple weeks ago, we stopped to talk to a locksmith who had a small trailer setup near one of the main gates. Some of our group had some keys cut while there talking to him. His prices seemed very reasonable to me. His business card was very unique. It was a modern looking military dog tag with his contact information stamped in place on the tag:

Vintage Lock
144 Main Street, SO,
Cambridge, MN
email: vintagelocks.com
Ph: 763-689-0877

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-27-15 @ 9:25 PM

VT/JeffH    -- 07-28-2015 @ 7:19 AM
  Hi Everyone, I was happy with the service of Vintage Lock at the Iola swap meet.

I had four keys made from my existing keychain, for my '36, and it cost $18. I thought it was a good deal.

The keys are not original style Hurd's but they'll do for my second set, which is what I wanted them for.

-VT/JeffH

51f1    -- 07-30-2015 @ 1:04 PM
  If you have the lock, any good locksmith can cut the key.

Richard

VT/JeffH    -- 08-24-2015 @ 8:29 PM
  Here's the 'business card' from the guy I bought keys from in Iola.

-VT/JeffH

joe b    -- 08-28-2015 @ 5:16 PM
  VT\jeff. Now THAT is a business card ! Is that really what he hands out ? I have a similar set that I had on a chain in 1965,'66. The government gave them to me.

VT/JeffH    -- 09-06-2015 @ 4:33 PM
  Hi Everyone, Joe b, Yup that's his business card. He's got a pretty good supply of them!

If I'm not telling stories out of school, I think he's a recently retired Sergeant (Maybe Master?) for the Air Force.

While we chatted about keys, and other lock services, we also chatted about his contributions to my country. I remember him saying he's familiar with his local VA treatment center.

Joe b, I often wish I would have been a part of our armed forces. I think it would have made me a different person, probably better in some ways.

I am thankful for your contributions!

-VT/JeffH

joe b    -- 09-07-2015 @ 9:26 AM
  VTjeff
You are welcome. It did make me a different person. Memories I hold on to today.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8763