Topic: Window Seals - Rouge Class

len47merc    -- 07-13-2015 @ 4:44 AM
  In looking at the Rouge Class Judging Rules no specific mention is made of window and door seals, understandably only safety and routine maintenance items. Two questions: First - Are window and door seals (and in particular the windshield and rear window seals) also considered 'routine maintenance' items or would they be considered items over-restored for Rouge Class judging if replaced? And Second, are all the window seals considered part of the exterior or interior for Rouge Class judging?

Would like to at minimum replace the original windshield and rear window seals to make the car more wet-weather friendly when driving long distances to EFV8 Meets but do not want to compromise award opportunities.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-13-15 @ 7:16 AM

trjford8    -- 07-14-2015 @ 6:47 AM
  Steve this would definitely be a question for the judging standards committee. Contact Dan Krehbiel in California and I'm sure he can give you the answer. He's in the roster.
From a personal point of view (I stress the word personal) I would think the gasket could come under maintenance. If you had to replace the windshield (cracked or broken) and the old gasket disintegrated during removal, you would have to use a new gasket. Rubber seals can disintegrate just like old wiring, old tires, old tubes, etc. A leaky window gasket can damage a very nice Rouge Class interior.

len47merc    -- 07-14-2015 @ 10:10 AM
  Thanks trjford8 - I've left a message for Mr. Krehbiel to give me a call. Greatly appreciate the reference.

Haven't driven the car in the rain for the exact reason you mention - trying to protect a Rouge Class interior.

Thanks again -

Steve

len47merc    -- 07-14-2015 @ 4:44 PM
  Spoke with Mr. Kriehbel today - very kind of him to take the time. For everyone's information:

1) Window seals should be considered under 'routine maintenance' items though they are not always as they are not specifically called out in the judging standards. Regardless, if this is all that is restored on a car it will be far less than 10% of the applicable area and, assuming less than 10% overall of the applicable are has been restored, it will still qualify for a Rouge Class award.

2) Window seals and windows general 'are' (and should be) considered as part of the body only and not included in interior judging from a Rouge Class perspective.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8737