Topic: replacing gas line

oldasi    -- 07-12-2015 @ 9:12 AM
  Going to replace my gas line, '46, wondering if I should use, plain steel, stainless steel or copper, not a show car, weather permitting its a daily driver, just want something that wont give me trouble for long time.

ford38v8    -- 07-12-2015 @ 9:53 AM
  The stock fuel lines are still being made, and are available from many suppliers.
The best for non stock would be Cunifer, pricy but best.
Stainless steel is good but hard to work with.
Never use copper or plain steel.

Alan

42wagon    -- 07-12-2015 @ 10:57 AM
  Just to add to what Alan has said. You want to use copper plated steel which is what the original gas lines were. Plain steel will rust and plain copper will develop fatigue cracks.The copper plated steel is available from all the usual suppliers at a reasonable cost.

LarryK    -- 07-12-2015 @ 3:58 PM
  I just replaced the gas line in my 1939. I purchased the copper plated steel line from Roy Nacewicz. It comes in 36-inch coils and includes the end fittings. It worked out well.

Larry

oldford2    -- 07-12-2015 @ 4:55 PM
  About 10 years ago I replaced my fuel line (tank to firewall) with copper (so easy to work with). Firmly anchored it's whole route. Lately there have been posts about copper fatiguing. So should I replace it? Does anyone have a first hand experience with copper lines fatiguing? Thanks
John

ford38v8    -- 07-12-2015 @ 5:30 PM
  First hand, yes. I worked in an industry that used copper lines for vacuum. I had made new lines and stashed them for future use, then forgot them for 10 years. I was very surprised to find that they had stiffened very hard, as opposed to the soft malleable copper that they had originally been. Further, copper lines in service would harden and rupture if used more than 3 times, but then, high pressure/temperature would be expected to shorten the life of any tubing.

Alan

TomO    -- 07-15-2015 @ 7:33 AM
  The line from Nacewicz comes in a 25' length and is coiled in 36" rings. It is the best fuel line to use. Some of the other vendors supply a line that is copper plated on the outside only.

Tom

LazarusLong    -- 07-17-2015 @ 5:46 PM
  Use the new copper/nickel fuel lines. They never rust inside or out,even using ethanol.

Also,you can bend them with your hands and they don't kink,and being made as gas lines they are seamless so you don't have to worry about them ever splitting from vibrations.

5/16th is right at 30 bucks for 25 feet,which is plenty to do your car.

You can buy it at Car Quest,MAPA,O'Reilly auto parts,and pretty much any other auto parts store. You can even order it from Amazon if you want. Just do a search for brake lines.

I used it on my 51 coupe and am very glad I did. No more worries about rust inside the lines that I can't see,or rust flakes getting past the filter.

While you are at it,make sure you replace all your rubber gas lines and any plastic inline gas filters with new ones that are rated to stand up to ethanol.

Old Henry    -- 07-18-2015 @ 9:43 AM
  Is this the stuff you're talking about? http://www.surrauto.com/documents/Ultrabend-Brake-Line-Tubing.pdf I've got to replace a fuel line and had this suggested on the Ford Barn.

This message was edited by Old Henry on 7-18-15 @ 9:53 AM

ford38v8    -- 07-18-2015 @ 10:07 AM
  Not saying it isn't cupronickel, but do you see it stated anywhere what alloy it is? Seems fishy to me that it wouldn't be proud of naming it.

Alan

LazarusLong    -- 07-18-2015 @ 11:00 AM
  Hard to tell if it is the same stuff or not because they don't say what it's make from.

This is the stuff I ordered from Amazon,but as I said you can buy it locally at any parts store There are several manufacturers making and selling it.

http://www.amazon.com/AGS-CNC425-Brake-Line-Coil/dp/B00A1WBWR2/ref=pd_bxgy_263_text_z

This is 1/4 inch,but it also comes in 3/16,5/16,and 3/8. I used 3/8 for the gas line.

This message was edited by LazarusLong on 7-18-15 @ 11:01 AM

oldasi    -- 07-18-2015 @ 1:30 PM
  I started this subject and having trouble finding the fitting that goes in to the tank, think its a compression fitting, theres a copper or brass ring that slips onto the tube then as you tighten the fitting I assume it compress's the ring, I cant find anyone who supplies that fitting, I can find the ring but not the fitting or nut, same fitting is used to go into the carb and fuel pump. I tried Roy Nacewicz but he supplies them with the tube not alone. Am in Canada so due to shipping across the border etc I'd like to find them here, if not here then I'll go to US

Old Henry    -- 07-18-2015 @ 3:18 PM
  On my 47 the ends of the fuel line are flared, not a compression fitting. I would think it would be the same for your 46.

oldasi    -- 07-18-2015 @ 5:22 PM
  I wonder if the female side of a flared fitting and a compression are the same ?

Old Henry    -- 07-18-2015 @ 6:49 PM
  The female end is the flared end. The male end has a tapered fitting that goes inside the flare.

Old Henry    -- 07-18-2015 @ 6:57 PM
  I guess "thread-wise" the flared end is the male end. Attached is a picture of the joint showing the flared end of the fuel line and the fitting on the flex hose that attaches to it.

LazarusLong    -- 07-19-2015 @ 4:37 PM
  I started this subject and having trouble finding the fitting that goes in to the tank, think its a compression fitting, theres a copper or brass ring that slips onto the tube then as you tighten the fitting I assume it compress's the ring, I cant find anyone who supplies that fitting,"

Contact Tanks,Inc or one of the other repo gas tank suppliers. They make repo tanks,so they will have repo fitttings.

oldasi    -- 09-07-2015 @ 5:24 AM
  Have found the fitting, don't know if supplier is in the US or not, called FASTENAL here in Canada, fitting called "inv tube nut br 1/4", bought a bunch so let me know if you want one or two, my '46 needs total of 3

agriffey    -- 10-03-2015 @ 11:47 PM
  I have replaced about 50 or more fuel lines.
I go to any parts store and get two of the long brake tubes and a connector Two fasten the two together in the middle.
Brake tubing can be bent by hand, it is very easy to work with, is cheap, readily available and seay to cut.
As others have said, "Don't use copper tubing."
Actually you can if you make sure you have a piece of hose on each end so it can't work harden.
Is still not a good idea. may give you a bad reputation.

timcolr    -- 10-07-2015 @ 5:21 PM
  Hello agriffey thanks for the post!! Makes complete sense to me, that's what I will be using!!!

1950 Fordor Deluxe 6

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8733