Topic: '36 engine mount upgrade

oracleflatheader    -- 03-01-2010 @ 7:27 PM
  Recently became aware of a means to reduce vibrations by using the '37 and up rear tranny support. I've located a '37-'40 frame mount with the intention to replace the '36 mount. That mount uses the '36 rear rubberized support bolted right to the frame. I'll remove that original support & I'm told the '37 up will mechanically be a near good fit. With the newer frame support, the '36 rubberized support will bolt right to it via '37 engine mounts. So that is an additional rubber insulation between the tranny & frame. Any comments? Anyone else done this?

G Tosel    -- 03-01-2010 @ 8:19 PM
  I have a 36 5W Coupe with a 37 Ford frame. I used bothe the 36 rear transmission mount as well as the rubber mounts used on 37 Ford. They work well.

Thanks

Gary Tosel

fortyfordguy    -- 03-04-2010 @ 3:57 AM
  You could change the rear support to the 1937-41 style. The transmission won't know any different. Some issues do come up with this change. Will the mounting locations in the frame be the same? What about the parking brake mounting bracket? Do you want this to be original style (as in correct for your 36 Ford)?

If you have bad vibration in the drivetrain, I would look into at least getting your flywheel and pressure plate balanced as one assembly. Balancing of the engine is another proven improvement, but this means a complete teardown of the engine.

Also, I assume you have replaced the front mounts under the water pumps. They are equally responsible for correct support and vibration control as the rear mounts.

There could also be an issue with the driveshaft but that is generally long-shot symptom.

Danny/Texas    -- 03-15-2010 @ 3:25 PM
  Ok, I have my new mount installed and it was very easy. Are the mounting kits with bolts and rubber the same for both front and back? I see where suppliers carry one for front but Im not seeing rear.

trjford8    -- 03-15-2010 @ 9:00 PM
  Yes, they are the same.

flatheadfan    -- 03-16-2010 @ 1:00 AM
  I have done several of these rear mount swaps. My current '35 has this change and I very pleased with the results. Mechanically, I am using the original '35 "waffle" rear trans mount and the rubber mounts of the '37-'40 mount. This gives a double vibration isolation while allowing me to still use the original floor mounted emergency brake. However, I have hydraulic brakes on the car. I don't think this conversion would be a problem with mechanical brake hardware but I have never made this swap on a '35 or '36 with mechanical brakes.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=873