Topic: Rouge Awards Questions

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 10:21 AM
  1) Are Rouge Awards presented for each area (Interior, Exterior and/or Running Gear) a car may be certified in? For instance, if a car is certified in all three areas are three Awards/plaques presented or is one Award/plaque awarded regardless of whether one, two or all three areas are certified?
2) Should Awards be engraved when received (as is noted under Section 4. ROUGE DIVISION of 'AWARDS' in the Judging Manual) with at minimum the year, type of vehicle and name of the owner?
3) Should the plaques also be engraved with the areas for the car the Rouge Award/plaque applies to?
4) Upon entering the vehicle for Rouge Class judging at subsequent Meets, this in pursuit of a V-8 Medallion Award(s), how does the owner validate the car as having won a Rouge Award or Awards at a prior meet?

Thanks in advance -

Steve

nelsb01    -- 07-10-2015 @ 11:41 AM
  1) You can win a Rouge Award for Interior, Exterior, or Running Gear, or any combination. There is only one award plaque given, but the original award (1st time) will list on the engraving strip what the vehicle won for. Any other awards will be a medalion that you glue on the plaque.
2) My award says Name year vehicle type I & E --
3) Answer in question 2 I=interior E=exterior
4) All information about the vehicle is recorded by the Judging Standards Secretary. So, when you register any vehicle for Concourse judging, that information is entered into the data base and then after the meet, the records are updated with results.

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:07 PM
  Thanks nelsb01 - your response is what my expectations were. At the Eastern Regional in Charlotte my '47 earned Rouge Awards for Interior and Running Gear. Just received the plaque in the mail and the engraving strip is completely blank. Other than the meet pin/inset from the meet souvenir gearshift knob in the lower circle of the '8', no other defining info is on the plaque (see attached pic).

Being new to showing the car and submitting it for judging this is my first experience with the EFV8 on the Concourse, so I thought though perhaps this is the norm it seems strangely odd to me that a blank would be sent like this. Not sure what my next steps should be - recommendations appreciated.

Steve

ford38v8    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:08 PM
  Steve, you got the definitive answer above from the oldest most decrepit ugliest V8er that has been a Director of the Club since the age of the dinosaur, has been directly involved with putting on V8 Meets more than any other dude around, so, long story even longer, you got your answer.

Alan

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:14 PM
  Forgot to attach the pic before Submitting the prior reply (sorry for the rotation prob) - below:

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-10-15 @ 12:14 PM

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:19 PM
  Alan - perhaps one day I'll be fortunate enough to earn such a glowing endorsement!

Thoughts on the plaque appreciated -

Steve

Kens 36    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:49 PM
  Steve,

You received the Rouge plaque from the local folks in the Piedmont group who put on the meet. You will be receiving the strip to attach to your plaque directly from the Judging Standards Committee Secretary.

Ken

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 12:57 PM
  Thanks Ken - this being my 1st I didn't know what to expect, nor could I find the answers when researching before posting the questions. Do you know what the typical lag time is between receipt of the plaque and receipt of the strip?

Live and learn - rookie questions. Sincere thanks to all for responding -

Steve

Kens 36    -- 07-10-2015 @ 2:45 PM
  Steve,

The strips usually take two or three weeks. Just depends on how quick the engraver is after the JSC Secretary sends them her list. It shouldn't be much longer.

Ken

len47merc    -- 07-10-2015 @ 6:36 PM
  Thanks Ken.

Steve

nelsb01    -- 07-10-2015 @ 7:35 PM
  Alan my man, no matter how close to a dinosaur you put me -- one thing will never change.
I am still younger than you.
In a round about way-- thanks for the complement -- heading off tomorrow to co-chair another National Meet.
Gee, that must be close to a dozen now. Nah, only 10?
I bet you miss the cross country drives in your 1939. You certain have your share of memories.
Take care!

len47merc    -- 07-24-2015 @ 11:46 AM
  Quick update so expectations are properly calibrated for us all...

Spoke with the Judging Standards Committee leadership and was advised expectations for Members' receipts of Awards/strips is several weeks (10-12+) minimum up to several months. The Committee endeavors, under the mantra of being fiduciarily responsible with all our dues, to accumulate multiple Meets of Awards - as many as 3-4 Meets depending upon the schedules for any given year - before submitting all to an engraver, this to maximize efficiency and economies of scale. Then upon receipt by the Committee the strips are checked for accuracy, cataloged, rechecked and finally re-cataloged before sending to the Award recipients.

This year the Committee was planning on at minimum combining the awards from the Eastern and Central Regionals before submitting to the engraver. Thus, Awards earned in Charlotte in early June may not be received for 3-4 months and perhaps longer if the Committee, after the very, very unfortunate events in Brainerd, decides to wait for the next Meet to accumulate Awards for the engraver.

Members earning Awards at the last Meet of the year, or the Meet after which Awards are accumulated and submitted to the engraver, will receive their awards the quickest though expectations should be at minimum for 2-3 months. Anything quicker and you've hit the bonus.

Steve

MG    -- 07-24-2015 @ 2:58 PM
  My '34 received a Rouge Award at the Western National Meet held in Rohnert Park, CA back in 1996....At least I think it was '96. I received a beautiful Rouge Award plaque at the event. Several weeks later, I received in the mail an engraved name tag (with my name spelled wrong) to attach to the plaque. I never received anything to indicate which categories (Interior, Exterior and/or Running Gear) the car won. To this day, I have no idea if my car won all three categories, two or just one....

This message was edited by MG on 7-24-15 @ 3:07 PM

Kens 36    -- 07-24-2015 @ 5:51 PM
  MG,

I'm sorry that this was your experience at the Rohnert Park Meet - actually 1997, right? A few years ago the Club improved its procedures for Rouge judging to return the judging sheets to the owners at the conclusion of the event, showing a pass/fail for each category that was submitted for judging.

Also sorry to hear that your name was misspelled.

The Club keeps records of awards, so if you are interested in what you receive the Rouge award for, please let me know.

Ken

len47merc    -- 07-24-2015 @ 6:13 PM
  In support of Kens 36 - the process he describes (judging sheets returned to the owners at the conclusion of the event) is as realized in practice at the Charlotte/Eastern Regional last month.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-24-15 @ 6:14 PM

MG    -- 07-24-2015 @ 7:46 PM
  Kens 36....I sent you a PM

Kens 36    -- 07-24-2015 @ 8:11 PM
  MG,

Response sent.

Ken

MG    -- 07-24-2015 @ 8:41 PM
  Kens 36

Back at ya....

MG    -- 07-24-2015 @ 8:56 PM
  I scanned the Rouge Award plaque I received at the 1997 WNM Rohnert Park, CA event as seen below.

My '53 Ford Fordor Customline won a Rough Award for it's drive train/running gear at the 2006 WNM held in Tacoma, WA. Same scenario, I have a blank plaque from that event as well....

On the bright side, when its time to part with these cars of mine, the new owners can put anything they want on these blank plaques....

This message was edited by MG on 7-24-15 @ 9:10 PM

Kens 36    -- 07-25-2015 @ 8:18 AM
  Steve,

Sent you a private message - please check your inbox.

Ken

len47merc    -- 07-25-2015 @ 8:53 AM
  Got it Ken & have now replied. Thanks -

Steve

len47merc    -- 07-25-2015 @ 2:16 PM
  Ken - sent you another pm with the info you need. Cheers -

Steve

Bertha    -- 07-31-2015 @ 5:38 AM
  MG
Quote...
"My '34 received a Rouge Award at the Western National Meet held in Rohnert Park, CA back in 1996....At least I think it was '96. I received a beautiful Rouge Award plaque at the event. Several weeks later, I received in the mail an engraved name tag (with my name spelled wrong) to attach to the plaque. I never received anything to indicate which categories (Interior, Exterior and/or Running Gear) the car won. To this day, I have no idea if my car won all three categories, two or just one...."

My experience also..."Bertha" was judged in 2006 at the Eastern National Meet. Got a nice Rouge Award plaque, and was told at the Awards Ceremony that we were certified in all three categories, but no "strip" designating them was ever sent.
I did get the 'strip' with my name.....spelled rite.

Sure would be nice to have the proof.

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

This message was edited by Bertha on 7-31-15 @ 6:04 AM

Bertha    -- 07-31-2015 @ 6:07 AM
  Here is the plaque.....

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

len47merc    -- 09-04-2015 @ 2:33 PM
  Quick follow-up for "...the most decrepit ugliest V8er that has been a Director of the Club since the age of the dinosaur..." (nelsb01) as well as his under-study disciple 'ford38v8' (Alan), and also 'Kens36' (Ken), as well as everyone else, the engraving strip for my '47 Merc's Interior and Running Gear Rouge Awards earned at the Eastern Regional in Charlotte during June, referenced earlier in this thread, arrived today and was engraved as nelsb01 described in his earlier reply on page one. Additionally, a very nice letter from the Secretary (Milly Scheidt) arrived with the strip as well which detailed expectations for the next showing/judging of the car.

Done very well - very proud to be a member of this organization.

Cheers -

Steve

MG    -- 09-04-2015 @ 6:36 PM
  Received my metal strips along with the letter from Milly Scheidt in the mail today as well. Letter states that awards were for the 2015 National Meet. I did not show my cars at the 2015 National Meet. My awards were won in 1997 for my '34 and 2006 for my '53. And, again, my last name was spelled incorrectly on both strips. I give up....

This message was edited by MG on 9-4-15 @ 8:06 PM

nelsb01    -- 09-04-2015 @ 9:26 PM
  MG............
I believe you got the general form letter for 2015, and not the one for 1997.
As for the misspelled name -- I would chance say that the Club's judging records have your name incorrect, and that is where that comes from.
You would not believe how many members we have that have incorrect information in the Club's records, and even though there are ways to correct it, and members can correct their information, they choose not to do so.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 9-6-15 @ 1:09 PM

MG    -- 09-04-2015 @ 10:32 PM
  @nelsb01 - I don't think so. They misspelled it differently than the previous misspelling this time. They are not consistent in their misspellings. Besides, the spelling of my last name was correct on the envelope the strips were mailed in. I think this is some sort of a vast left-wing conspiracy.... :o)

This message was edited by MG on 9-4-15 @ 11:43 PM

nelsb01    -- 09-05-2015 @ 8:07 AM
  Well, here is a solution -- a direct quote from the Judging Standards Secretary..........
"Please post on the forum that if ANYONE has a strip that is missing, misspelled, contains incorrect information, they should contact the JSC Secretary. Put my name - Milly Scheidt, email address millysch@frontiernet.net out there. I'm not sure who was responsible for the mistakes, but I will do my best to correct them. That's my job."
So there you go --

37fordlady    -- 09-05-2015 @ 12:53 PM
  MG,
Send me an email with the correct spelling of your name, car year and body style and I will gladly have your strip redone. I was asked to do your strips by someone who was asked by someone else. The info I am getting is third or fourth hand. Contact me directly so I can get it right.
All you have to do is ask. My email address is millysch@frontiernet.net or you can find my phone number in the roster or in the V-8 Times at the bottom of any of the previous meet reports.
As to anyone else who would like to know how their vehicle is listed in the JSC records, just email me and ask. I am happy to give you any information that I have.
Milly Scheidt

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8725