Topic: 36 rear end

rdofloor    -- 07-08-2015 @ 11:36 AM
  I would like to find a Columbia rear end for my 1936 woodie, but am having trouble finding the right one. mine has the spring/ shock conection on the wish bone. so I thought may be I could put in a high speed ring and pinion. can any one tell me a easy way to tell wich ratio I have in the car with out taking the rear end apart? Roger Oliver

VT/JeffH    -- 07-08-2015 @ 12:08 PM
  Hi, I found this info on the internet from a JSeery, what follows is a copy/paste:

You can count the teeth on the ring gear through the fill plug. Mark one of the teeth and count the teeth through one full revolution of the gear.

IF the gears have never been changed, the ratio numbers should be stamped on the housing, tooth count is stamped on the lower front part of center section .

I have never used this method, so no idea how well it works! But might give it a try:
(from Ford Flathead V8 http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/reargear.htm)

JimC: 5/31/2000 - 8:16:04 AM
RE: ratio
Jacking one wheel up and turning the engine over by hand will let you determine the ratio. Make a chalk mark on the bottom of the tire and crank the engine over exactly 2 revolutions. Also, make sure all the slack is out of the system when turning the engine over. Then measure the rotation on the tire. It will be plus or minus one turn, but accuracy with these measurements is critical. Take this tire rotation value, divide it into 1 (in other words, find its reciprocal), then multiply it by 4. This will give you a pretty good ball park of the ratio, which can be compared with known ratios (4.11, 3.78, 3.54) to see which one comes closest. For example, I recently went through this with my car and found the tire rotated slightly less than one turn for 2 engine turns, so I used a tire rotation value of 0.95. Dividing this value into 1.0 gives you 1.05, and multiplying 1.05 by 4 gives you 4.20. So I figured the rear end ratio was 4.11. I then used this method on a friend's car before he pulled the rear end out. I got about 1.05 tire rotations for 2 engine rotations, which figures out to a rear end ratio of 3.8. When the gears came out, sure enough, they were 3.78.

1) Jack up one rear wheel and chalk-mark the 12 o'clock position on the tire. (Make sure the slack is out of the drive train)
2) Hand crank engine 2 complete turns.
3) See where chalk mark on tire ends up.
A) Between 11 and 12 o'clock, ratio is 4.11
B) Between 12 and 1 o'clock, ratio is 3.78
C) Between 1 and 2 o'clock, ratio is 3.54

-VT/JeffH

40 Coupe    -- 07-09-2015 @ 5:23 AM
  All the 35-36 cars as well as light commercial vehicles have the same shock and spring attachment. The radius arms attach the bottom of the axle housings with two bolts and nuts. There are a several places to get a rebuilt Columbia, along with all the controls proper for your vehicle. In CA, John Connelly see P. 13 V8 Times, Dan Krehbiel, see roster and in Tenn. Johnnie Stooksbury.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-09-2015 @ 7:38 AM
  There should numbers stamped on a flat spot one of the reinforcing webs on the"banjo" near where it bolts to the torque tube. Many times they are hard to read. The numbers should be something like 9-37, so if you divide 37 by 9 it will give you 4.11, 9-34=3.78 and so on. If you know that the gears have never been replaced in the past, that would tell you your ratio.

wmsteed    -- 07-15-2015 @ 8:29 AM
  If you are not trying to keep the car 100% stock you can use any Columbia, '36-48.
The '37 and later Columbia will require the use '37-41
axle housings and axles, utilizing the stock '36 torque tube and banjo with the '36 ring/pinion. You will also need '37-38 radius bars.
The '42-48 rear end is 2" wider than the '36-41, but it does not present a problem.
The Columbia under my '36 is a '47-48 with the '46-48 shift controls.. Electric over vacuum. The center section and torque tube is stock '36, with '37 radius bars and '37-39 drums.. The ratio is 3.78.
There are people that will tell you the the later model Columbia's require machine work in order to fit them under a '36, in my book that is nonsense.
As it has already been stated, the gear ratio for a Ford V8 is stamped on the banjo/pinion web.. It will always be three numbers starting with a 9..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 7-15-15 @ 8:33 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8717