Topic: OPTIMA BATTERY ?

fordv8j    -- 07-06-2015 @ 4:51 PM
  I need a new battery for my 1938 ford..it is 6 volts..is the OPTIMA the way to go???

cliftford    -- 07-06-2015 @ 5:51 PM
  Yes, no battery lasts forever, but in my opinion they are far and away better than a lead acid battery. They last at least twice as long, do not leak or corrode anound the terminals, stay charged longer when not in use, and just a better battery, especially for our old cars. I have one that is 8 years old and still going strong.

1934 Ford    -- 07-06-2015 @ 6:14 PM
  Yes to Optima. Just bought one on Amazon.com for $112.97
with free shipping. Came well packed in 3 days.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 07-06-2015 @ 7:07 PM
  All I use are Optima's. You can also find them at Summit Racing. I had one that lasted 12 years.

drkbp    -- 07-06-2015 @ 8:51 PM
  I keep hearing folks talk about them but I believe an Optima is too tall to go under the floorboard of my '35 Cabriolet. I've had that one for forty years and it is a fairly tight fit vertically for the big Group 1.

Do they make one that will fit without cutting up the stock battery box?

Also, do y'all run them with a third brush and cutout?

I drive three antique Fords on weekly basis and fail to recall getting less than 36 to 40 months service out of a lead acid battery with the stock 6 volt generator and cutout switch.

40 Coupe    -- 07-07-2015 @ 4:21 AM
  drkbp: Yes the one, and only, 6V optima is a bit too tall for the 35-6 Ford original position not to mention too narrow. If you want to use the Optima (good battery) I suggest you add a battery box that will mount the battery slightly lower between the frame members and fordward so the original battery cables can be used. This is the fix and it can be done without adding any additional holes.

cliftford    -- 07-07-2015 @ 5:28 AM
  In regard tdrkbp's question: Optimas seem to wokk fine on a 3 brush system. I use them in my model T and A, with no problems.If you do a lot of highway driving you may want to set the charging rate fairly low.

This message was edited by cliftford on 7-7-15 @ 5:29 AM

ford38v8    -- 07-07-2015 @ 9:56 AM
  James, good talking with you today, and I'll go along with the others that the Optima is definitely the way to go.

Alan

JM    -- 07-07-2015 @ 12:23 PM
  I have had an Optima 6V Red Top in my stock '35 since 2010. No problem on three brush system . I do have an electronic regulator cutout made by Fun Projects. I made a battery mount that clamps in a '35-'36 battery box and lowers the Optima ~ 1-1/2" below the inside surface of the stock battery door/cover. This entire mount can be switched back to the original battery mount in ~ 10 minutes. We just put this same Optima mounting system in a '36 Phaeton last Sunday.

John

VT/JeffH    -- 07-07-2015 @ 12:36 PM
  Hi, My car ('36 Phaeton) just got it's new battery two days ago.

No mods to the car. Uses stock battery cover.

I don't care if someone looks under the car to see this battery.

JM fabbed up the pieces. The one I got uses all aluminum or stainless so no rusting.

The key to the system is the way the new tray is attached. The new tray is pinched at four locations, onto the place where the old battery would rest its weight. Release four bolts that do the pinching, and the lowered tray is out.

I'm keeping the square hold-down for the top of the 2LF's, and the Y attachment pieces for it. They're with the car.

-VT/JeffH

EDIT: Photo is not my car. JM posted this before.

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 7-7-15 @ 12:37 PM

VT/JeffH    -- 07-07-2015 @ 12:50 PM
  I just remembered there is another solution that has to be brought up. Larry Cossar from New Hampshire (LCOSSAR@COMCAST.NET) fabricates a cover that has a higher clearance so that is a bolt-in solution too!

He may know one for sale at below retail, because I inquired with him when I was making my choices.

-VT/JeffH

fordv8j    -- 07-07-2015 @ 4:23 PM
  Thanks guys for all the input on the optima battery..looks like I will be getting one..for my 38

ford38v8    -- 07-07-2015 @ 8:24 PM
  James, check your Email!

Alan

Alan

drkbp    -- 07-07-2015 @ 8:38 PM
  Thanks for the response. Sounds like there are a couple of "height" solutions. I believe the low tray would be the best on the '35 because the mat would not be pooched up to cover the battery cover.

I assume you would run the third brush similar to the way we have always used them. Set back for a long run/ up for short runs of the car.

I am familiar with the FunProjects cutout but never quite got an answer regarding its operation.

In my book, a voltage regulator cuts the charge rate back when the battery is fully charged. If it doesn't do that, it is a generator field coil protector.

Does anyone know?

Thank you,
Ken

oldasi    -- 07-13-2015 @ 8:25 AM
  Have been considering an Optima battery although I didnt like the look of it (going to go ahead with it regardless) and looking further on the web I found a "Cloaking Devise for 6 volt Optima Battery", it's an empty battery sh*ll where a 6 volt Optima will fit and be concealed, looks like a regular battery, will fit my '46 tray and location perfectly, little expensive but going ahead with it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8709