Topic: General procedure for putting a starter back in...

greginski    -- 07-04-2015 @ 8:45 AM
  Saga of '39 starter.......Got the starter out and checked out by "one who knows". Everything is there, looks good, almost new brushes, etc. Spins correctly, etc, etc. Actually it is marked in script "Ford T1". So now we are ready to lay on my back and put it back in. Anyone have any tips, cautions or procedures for re-installing it? Still have to clean up the face where it mounts on the motor. Thanks, greg.

cliftford    -- 07-04-2015 @ 11:13 AM
  Basically, you reverse the procedure you used to remove it. Position yourself so that the starter can't fall and hit you on the head. when you get it in place start each bolt with your fingers to get them started straight. I'm sure you know this, but you'd be surprised at how many people put a wrench on it before the threads are started
Keep in mind that the post is copper and is easily damaged.

greginski    -- 07-04-2015 @ 11:33 AM
  thanks

it's that getting it seated and the gear lined up with the flywheel that seems to be the question. i suppose you just push and jiggle until it lines up?

cliftford    -- 07-04-2015 @ 1:50 PM
  Yup, that's it.

JT Ford    -- 07-04-2015 @ 2:21 PM
  The only time I removed one was 49-50. I took 2 wraps of wire around the threaded ends of the bolts and left 3 " of wire hanging down. After the threads started I pulled the wire down and off the threads. Wheels were off the ground and I turned the wheels so that the starter was resting on the tie rods as I got into position to put it in. The darn thing is heavy!

TomO    -- 07-05-2015 @ 9:23 AM
  If you do not have your starter installed, check the mounting surface on the oil pan for paint. There should be NO paint on the pan or starter mounting surfaces, so you get a good grounding.

Tom

alanwoodieman    -- 07-05-2015 @ 5:10 PM
  don't forget the pan rail brace on the top starter bolt!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8696