Topic: Pin striping a '35 Coupe

snotdoc    -- 06-30-2015 @ 7:58 AM
  I have recently purchased a 1935 five window coupe...our first early automobile adventure. It is an all original configuration with newer repaint in black with "cream" spoke wheels. During a recent tour of the nearby Gilmore Auto Museum here in Michigan (a fabulous gem of a facility!), we saw a clone of our car which sported some lovely conservative pin striping. If we were to add some striping, should it necessarily match the wheel color or would red (my wife's clear preference) be legitimate?? I understand this may be only a question of personal taste but what is more original?

TomO    -- 06-30-2015 @ 8:49 AM
  That is a very nice looking coupe and you should be proud of it.

The more original would be that the stripe matches the wheels. with a black car, the wheels and stripe would be Apple Green.

The V-8 Club's 35-36 Book explains all of the paint combinations available as well as other original features of the cars. It can be purchased on this site's store or the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum's website.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-30-15 @ 8:50 AM

lazy69ranch    -- 06-30-2015 @ 10:15 AM
  So do you find yourself pacing around this beauty admiring her from all angles? When I first got my 35 I would find myself making trips to the garage just to do another walk around. These cars move the soul.

Here's what my 35 looks like with red stripe and wheels. The red really strikes a nice contrast to the black.

I had thoughts of going to the apple green stripe and wheels but for now she's staying with the red.

I do agree with the "conservative" approach to striping here rather than having too many loops and busy patterns.

My stripe is simply vinyl for now, hope to have it painted on sometime.

I think you could get away with a red stripe since the wheels are somewhat neutral.

Dan

1934 Ford    -- 06-30-2015 @ 5:38 PM
  My choice would be Tacoma Cream like your wheels. Black cars look great with trim like chrome and light contrasting pin-striping. It shows off the cars lines, like your wheel color shows off the spoke wheels.

1934 Ford's since 1972

JM    -- 07-01-2015 @ 5:48 AM
  The '35's that I own with black paint all have the green pin striping. I guess it's apple green as Tom said, however, I have an original '35 Tudor sedan with Dearborn blue paint that has the poppy red pin striping and same color wheels, and I like the looks of this car best. If you are not trying to do a high point show car, do what you think looks best and suits your taste.

John

flatheadfan    -- 07-01-2015 @ 6:10 AM
  Personally, I believe the pinstripe should match the wheels except in cases where the color of the wheels and the color of the car are the same. An example is a black car with black wheels. Somehow a black pinstripe just wouldn't work!!

Here is my '35 contribution to color collection. green wheels, green pinstripe.

Tom

TomO    -- 07-01-2015 @ 6:44 AM
  I think all of the examples look great.

Since your current color combination is not one of the original Ford combinations, I would go to Pep Boys and buy a roll of red stripe tape and a roll of yellow stripe tape.

Stripe one side red and the other yellow, then look at the car and make up your mind about which looks better and replace the one that you like the less.

Remember that it is your car and you should be happy with the way it looks and drives. If you are worrying about loosing points when the car is judged, you can download the judging sheet from the home page of this site under Forms.

Tom

snotdoc    -- 07-01-2015 @ 9:04 AM
  I truly appreciate all who have taken their precious time to respond! I am going to utilize Tom's approach of applying two different color vinyl stripes and see what grabs me (and my Bride!). There is a consensus that there is no "wrong" choice!

Thanks everyone! Terry

JM    -- 07-02-2015 @ 5:42 PM

This message was edited by JM on 7-3-15 @ 11:07 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8682