Topic: thermostats

lpthompson    -- 06-27-2015 @ 6:37 PM
  I have a 41 ford that over heats looking at replacing the thermostats what thermostat should I use 160/180 also any other suggestions on the over heating problem would be appreciated

Old Henry    -- 06-27-2015 @ 7:40 PM
  Number 1 cause of overheating is a plugged radiator. That would be the first place to start. Probably has to be removed to be cleaned properly and possibly even rodded out.

Other "little" things that can make a difference:

High flow thermostat such as the one made for a 1990 Subaru Justy that fits where the stock one fits but is much higher flow.

Modern water pumps move a higher volume of water that can help.

Reduce ratio of antifreeze to water in the coolant. I use 2 gallons Sierra propylene glycol with 3 gallons of distilled water. Protects to 10° in the winter and helps cool better in the summer.

A pint of Water-Wetter or, what I like even better, Hy-per Lube Super Coolant claims to make a difference. Don't know for sure if it does. It's cheap so I put it in just in case.

A 4 lb. pressure radiator cap will raise the boiling point of the water so it doesn't boil out 'till it gets hotter. (Doesn't help cool, just keeps the water in at a hotter temperature.)

Clean out engine. This is a big job 'cause you have to remove the engine to dig out any residual casting sand and boil out any corrosion and rust. De-rusting with Evapo-rust may help and a good back flush of the whole cooling system.

Some claim adding a shroud around the fan makes a difference. I haven't tried that one. I do fine with the above.

This message was edited by Old Henry on 6-27-15 @ 7:40 PM

supereal    -- 06-27-2015 @ 8:29 PM
  I agree with OH. Unless one or both thermostats are defective, the radiator flow is the culprit. Most who have overheating problems try everything else to reduce cost, but almost all old radiators should be replaced or recored.

RAK402    -- 06-23-2016 @ 9:06 AM
  Did the original Ford thermostats have greater flow rate than their modern counterparts?

I have a set for a V8-60. They appear to have a flap or door that opens as opposed to the annular opening of modern style thermostats.

1933    -- 07-01-2016 @ 5:06 PM
  through out the thermostats, you only need them in the winter. Think about it. Put in a new radiator,period. Heating problem solved.

TomO    -- 07-02-2016 @ 8:09 AM
  When does your engine overheat, hot days idling in traffic or going down the highway at 70mph?

Are you sure that it is overheating? Have you measured the coolant temperature? Are you losing coolant?

Have you read the "40 cooling temp" post? If not, I suggest that you do.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8673