Topic: Follow up, '39 starter....Suggestion for rebuilder

greginski    -- 06-25-2015 @ 4:46 PM
  With the help of the members that have replied to my original post about the starter not functioning on the '39, i have decided that we are going to replace or rebuild the starter that is currently on the car. I would prefer to rebuild the present one, but i cannot find a local shop(seattle) that wants to undertake what i would think is a relatively easy job. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that either sells rebuilt 18-11002-n6 starters or rebuilds your old one.
Thanks again

greg

kubes40    -- 06-25-2015 @ 5:04 PM
  Greg, although I am not surprised at what you have found, I am disappointed. It seems few folks want to actually do anything that requires a bit more than "grabbing a new one off the shelf".
Fortunately, in this area, there are a few shops that welcome this kind of work and do it well.

I might suggest trying NAPA. As of two years ago, you could get a correct starter within 24 hours for around $100. NAPA sells reconditioned starters vs. "rebuilt". There is a difference and "reconditioned" is a level up from "rebuilt".

TomO    -- 06-30-2015 @ 10:04 AM
  Greg, check with the local Regional Group. Someone in there might know of a resource.

There ar a few in the Chicago area that rebuild or recondition the starters, but the cost is more than the $100 that Mike said NAPA sold them for.

Did you perform the voltage tests that I recommended in your other post? What were the results?

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-30-15 @ 10:05 AM

greginski    -- 06-30-2015 @ 12:12 PM
  well i have found a shop in oregon that will do this for $95+/- napa doesn't stock them locally, have to come from california and with all the freight, core charges, tax, etc the price is close to $150. i didn't check all the currents. got the starter off finally after 3/4 of an hour on my back. doesn't look bad but the face that bolts onto the motor had some rust and little oil, dirt on it......thinking it might just not be making good contact? but i am not going to clean it up and slap it on until i know that it going to work. thanks

greg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8669