Topic: Fix or replace

dggohl    -- 06-25-2015 @ 2:13 PM
  I have a 52 mainline with a 239. I blew something in the motor. Currently I have it mostly torn down. When I turn it over, the pistons will function, but the valves do not. Now since there was only 75-80 psi on 7 of the 8 cylinders, (N0.8 no compression) it sounds to me that valve replacement and boring it out with new rings is in order. My question is, is it worth putting the money into this motor, or putting a different motor in? I've gotten a verbal estimate of around $3000 to rebuild what I have. I can pick up a motor for around $1500. Your thoughts?

This message was edited by dggohl on 6-25-15 @ 2:14 PM

joe b    -- 06-25-2015 @ 3:35 PM
  I think it might have to do with originality. Is this engine original to the car? If you don't care then go with something else. I had my '41' completely rebuilt for $3500.00 Also, what condition is the $1500.00 engine in? If used, you could be in the same mess later on.

cliftford    -- 06-25-2015 @ 8:02 PM
  Here's my 2 cents worth: If you can get your engine completely and correctly rebuilt for 3K with a guarantee,that's a bargain. If you buy a used engine for $1500, presumably no guarantee,[ 1/2 of the cost of a rebuild] you're getting a pig in a poke at best, unless you know the history of the engine. These engines can be pretty tired and still run pretty good. All things considered, I would vote for rebuilding your engine.

ford38v8    -- 06-25-2015 @ 9:14 PM
  It's unfortunate that you have it "mostly" torn down. It sounds like you may have had a single sticky valve, (compression on the others is not that bad), followed by a broken timing gear.

I do agree with the others, while on the low side as builds go, a $3000 build should come with a good warranty, and a $1500 engine should at least be confirmed as a running engine.

Alan

dggohl    -- 06-26-2015 @ 6:49 AM
  After further tear down, the camshaft gear is shredded. What would cause this?

trjford8    -- 06-27-2015 @ 7:09 AM
  Was it a fiber gear or steel gear?

dggohl    -- 06-27-2015 @ 9:38 AM
  Fiber. Already have the replacement, but waiting to put it in.

trjford8    -- 06-27-2015 @ 8:32 PM

the fiber gears were used as they are quieter than the metal gears. Unfortunately they do not hold up like the metal gears and are prone to stripping when they age.

TomO    -- 06-30-2015 @ 9:53 AM
  Put in the timing gear and recheck your compression. You may not have to rebuild the engine.

I like to replace the gears in pairs, but the crank gear can be a bear to get off with the engine in the car. If you do not want to replace the crank gear, at least check it for wear. If you can feel any wear, bite the bullet and replace it, it will make the car run better.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8667