Topic: Thermostats

V8JR    -- 06-24-2015 @ 2:07 PM
  Should thermostats be used on a 1939 Ford V8? Were thermostats installed at the factory original build? - Thanks - Jimbo

nelsb01    -- 06-24-2015 @ 4:50 PM
  Yes.
Thermostats provide a positive application to the engine. Assist it in warming up quickly, and controling flow (so the engine coolant can dissipate heat).

V8JR    -- 06-25-2015 @ 9:08 AM
  Where do you locate the thermostat and how is it secured in place?

kubes40    -- 06-25-2015 @ 11:42 AM
  Each thermostat (ther are two) are simply "set" in the cylinder head and the radiator hose placed over it. The correct thermostat is slightly larger in diameter than the cylinder head opening and thus provides an interferance fit with the radiator hose. That interfereance fit keeps the thermostat in place.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-25-15 @ 11:43 AM

V8JR    -- 06-26-2015 @ 9:39 AM
  Thanks Kube - I'll get to work on it

len47merc    -- 06-26-2015 @ 3:35 PM
  V8JR/Jimbo - Mike is correct. I have to say for those not having worked with the thermostats before that determining the 'correct' thermostat is not as intuitive and easy as it may seem, from outer diameter, design, temperature, etc., etc., perspectives. Suggest you search this forum for all the data, parts, experiences and solutions that have been posted on this subject (trust me - there is a plethora of it) before starting.

And then ask a few questions after that to ensure your stats stay properly positioned in the radiator hoses. Pay close attention during your research to all the solutions on this as well. As a starter, the upper hoses offered by most, if not all, EFV8 suppliers are 'supposed' to be adequately necked down to properly secure the 'correct' thermostats - you should not trust this to be the case across the board. Of the original hoses on my '47 and two subsequent attempts with separate suppliers with new hoses, only the original hoses would keep the original 177 degree stats (or new 180 degree Stants purchased and modified as specified by others on this forum) from canting in the hoses.

A lot of research on all of this will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-26-15 @ 3:58 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8658