Topic: '39 starter

greginski    -- 06-24-2015 @ 8:56 AM
  Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
got the '39 running pretty good, EXCEPT...........the starter! got a 6v optima battery, looks like it is holding 9.2v all the time. BUT most of the time the starter will not turn over other than once or twice, slowly just won't start. roll it down a hill and it fires right up. runs just fine, just won't turn over. i have cleaned most of the wires and terminals so the connections are clean. i have eliminated the battery and the generator, probably, and think it is now the at least 35 year old starter that is the problem. any thoughts. would love to get this car back to a dependable driver. thanks, greg

kubes40    -- 06-24-2015 @ 9:18 AM
  Greg, I am hoping you meant to type "6.2" volts and not 9.2v. If you have 9.2v, you have a separate and very serious issue.
It sounds as if you have done some pretty good preliminary work thus far.
I would suggest you remove the starter and have a professional rebuild it. Most likely new bushings, the armature turned and new brushes should do "the trick".
Be certain there is no paint on the oil pan nor the starter face plate. It should be bare metal on both surfaces. Ford masked these areas for good reason.
I am confident your issue is the starter from what you have shared. Of course, check the cables for proper size and condition.
Mike

greginski    -- 06-24-2015 @ 9:52 AM
  well i just measured the volts on the bat posts, 9.1.
lights, radio, all the other elec works fine. tried to start.....two whirs(very technical term), followed by a series of clicks. my experience, 10 years or so, with the 6v(?)optima has always been pretty good. so i guess i'll pull the starter and take it in. thanks, greg

i'll follow up after we get the starter checked out.

cliftford    -- 06-24-2015 @ 10:26 AM
  If you are getting 9.1 volts with no load on the battery,on a 6v battery, I would question how accurate your volt meter is. You might check it with another meter.

This message was edited by cliftford on 6-24-15 @ 10:38 AM

len47merc    -- 06-24-2015 @ 10:31 AM
  Just a suggestion - and agreeing with Mike here (edit - and cliftford), before rebuilding the starter take the time to find out what is driving your 6V battery to read 9.1-9.2V! This could end up creating several additional and confusing problems down the road if not addressed now. I have personally never seen a healthy, fully charged 6V battery with no load on it read more than ~6.4-6.7V (former after sitting several days after a drive, latter after charging 15-30 mins after a drive).

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-24-15 @ 10:32 AM

greginski    -- 06-24-2015 @ 10:50 AM
  Surprise, surprise!!! just checked it again with another meter..............and the reading was................6.4!!!!!!!!! so it's off to the battery store to get a recommend for a local starter rebuilder. unless anyone has an connection in the seattle area that they could recommend.

TomO    -- 06-25-2015 @ 7:35 AM
  Before you pull the starter, check to make sure that you have good 6 volt cables going to the solenoid and starter. 12 volt cables can give a symptom like you are having.

Connect your good volt meter COM lead to the NEG battery post and the red or + lead to the starter. Crank the engine with the ignition off. The meter should read 0.3 volts or less if the cables are good. If you get a higher reading, you cables or solenoid are bad.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8656