Topic: Swap meets at Nationals

42oink    -- 06-23-2015 @ 11:59 AM
  I just got back from the Eastern Nationals at Charlotte, NC. While I didn't have a finished car for the show, I did have a trunk load of parts that may have helped someone else along with theirs. The problem: we got to the swap meet field about 5:30 AM and waited to see where to set up. The few other sellers stuff was all loaded or covered. By 7 AM no change. By 8 AM, show cars were getting cleaned up or were leaving for the speedway, a few miles away. The swap meet was still quiet, so after awhile, we decided to go to the show. When we checked back after lunch, we talked with the only vendor open. He said very few stopped by because the field was so out of the way. Space at the speedway wasn't a problem. Gettysburg last year and Hiawassee 2 years ago had show and swap meet co-located. This allows show attendees to check out the parts available without leaving the show, and swap meet vendors can enjoy the cars. "Just my two cents" Any thoughts?? Ron

ken ct.    -- 06-23-2015 @ 5:43 PM
  I agree with you Ron. disappointed vendor. ken isidor ct.

c-gor    -- 06-24-2015 @ 8:01 AM
  As a participant (I drove my vehicle to Charlotte), I thought the swap meet was fine. The field was about a 5 minute walk from the host hotel. I walked to the field the day before the concourse judging and visited each vendor and purchased a few items. I would think that if vendors arrive on the day of judging that most of the folks would be at the show and not at the swap meet. My opinion was that the location and hours seemed normal.

ken ct.    -- 06-24-2015 @ 9:35 AM
  I was there from sat nite to thur morn and there was never more than 10 vendors in the swap meet field at any of those days and by tues morn there were maby 3 vendors left me included. All had left.They had by count like 54 vendor spaces. Most of them didn't even show up. The location was ok and no buyers on concourse day is expected by vendors that wasent the problem. I'll tell you what the problem was in a private PM if you want. ken ct. Have done many Nat Ford swaps and this was the worst of all of them. ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 06-24-2015 @ 10:14 AM
  c-gor, take him up on it. That's one of Ken's greatest talents!

Alan

kubes40    -- 06-24-2015 @ 2:09 PM

I thought the swap was pretty much as expected at Concord. It was most certainly accessible during "normal hours".

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-24-15 @ 6:15 PM

ken ct.    -- 06-24-2015 @ 2:12 PM
  People that stopped at my spots asked where all the vendors were and where were the shoppers ?????????????????? ken ct.

len47merc    -- 06-24-2015 @ 3:54 PM
  Ok guys - the vast majority of us on this Forum greatly appreciate fact and experienced based, supportive and positive questions and replies. When you guys inject drama into the mix it diminishes the value of this highly enjoyable and informative Forum for us all.

Please keep it on the high road and do not lower yourselves to the detriment of us all. If you have to go there please keep it on the private messaging route. Thanks in advance -

Steve

ken ct.    -- 06-24-2015 @ 6:27 PM
  This was real world experience of being 5 days in the swap meet,sorry if some people don't believe what they see.I tell it like it is which eirks some people. ken isidor ct. End of this conversation!!!!!!

JM    -- 06-26-2015 @ 7:30 AM
  The swap meet at the ENM in Concord was right behind our hotel and just a short walk from any of the three host hotels. There was nothing wrong with its location. I arrived at the meet Sunday afternoon. After getting checked in etc., I went to the swap meet. I don't recall how many vendors were actually there at that time, but they did seem to be spread out more than usual for some reason. First vendor visited was Ken ct to say hey to him and his wife Peggy, then I stopped to talk to Tyree Harris, the well known wire harness maker from Va. He had a very nice '38/'39 coupe for sale that had once belonged to a well known FH engine builder, also from Va., who had passed away. Then it was off to see what was available from other vendors. I saw some very nice early Ford V8 parts for sale and some nice deals being made. Checked with another vendor who had some nice '36 sheetmetal and six Columbia OD center sections for sale!! How often do you see six Columbia's for sale in one spot? Checked with some other vendors and bought a gearshift knob that had been available at one of our previous RG36 ENM's that I was unable to attend. I made passes through the swap meet again on Monday and Tueday. They were probably the best two days of the meet. Most of the national meets that I have attended, the day before the Concourse Show is usually the last day of the swap meet for most vendors. Anyone coming on Show day expecting to set up in the swap meet, has missed the boat. It was the same at last years meet in Gettysburg, most of the vendors packed up and left the night before the show. The swap meets at these national shows are never huge events with potential buyers packed elbow to elbow, but the good news is the parts for sale there are usually all early Ford V8 stuff.

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-29-15 @ 8:06 PM

ken ct.    -- 06-26-2015 @ 3:52 PM
  Steve check your PM's ken ct.

len47merc    -- 06-26-2015 @ 4:03 PM
  Got it - thanks Ken!

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8654