Topic: Intake and carbs

tsoza86    -- 02-28-2010 @ 8:54 AM
  I'm looking to buy an intake manifold and run duel carbs on my 50 ford crestliner and was wondering the type of carbs that anyone runs with this setup? I was looking at the offy intake all help is appreciated.

supereal    -- 02-28-2010 @ 9:57 AM
  Whatever brand and type of intake you buy, be sure that the capacity (CFM) of the combined carbs is correct. If mismatched, performance will be harmed, mostly due to lower manifold vacuum. The formula to determine the correct capacity is to multiply the cubic inch displacement of your engine by the maximum rpm limit, then divide by 3,456. The result is the CFM required at the rpm limit. Many choose multiple carbs just to look "cool", with little regard to the consequences. This is particularly true of our slow turning flatheads. Most of us don't race our cars. If you are seeking some performance improvement at higher speeds, consider a mechanical four barrel carb. It will provide some top-end improvement without the hassle of adapting your distrbutor.

Stroker    -- 02-28-2010 @ 12:14 PM
  If you want a "Period-Correct" set-up, a Stromberg 4A "Aeroquad" 4bbl on an early Edelbrock
8BA-4bbl manifold would certainly be contemporary to your car. Those old Strombergs had smaller
venturis and mechanical secondaries. They also took the same jets as the classic 97's. Early Buick V8's were the original application. They were also, (I believe), the first 4-bbl carbs produced.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-28-2010 @ 12:37 PM
  I was wondering if you have to choose a different camshaft,?
or will a standard FORD camshaft work ok,
I wanted to a similar project and have 2.s.2.s intake with 2 97's and a 59ab,with a 4 inch crank,will the stock distributer work ok,
years ago we did a 50 FORD and had to put a weaker spring in the distributer, so it would advance,because of less vacuum,
what can be done with the stock front mount dist, or would have to install a side mount dist like 49 -53 V8 ?
thanks 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 2-28-10 @ 12:38 PM

Stroker    -- 02-28-2010 @ 2:39 PM
  On a 59A, I'd definitely stick with the original style front-mount distributor, which is far less affected by vacuum changes due to carburetion and/or valve timing. As for cam choice, a mild street cam would enhance mid-rpm breathing, which would be complementary with your increased airflow through the dual carbs. Everything is a compromise however, and low-rpm torque will suffer with both the carb change, and the increased duration and overlap of a modified cam.

The advantage to using a mechanical secondary 4-bbl, is that you can keep the air velocity up in
the primary venturis, and only open the secondaries at full throttle.

If the desired end result is a "hot-rod" appearing engine compartment, rather than a "hot-rod" sounding idle, then consider leaving the cam stock, and installing two Stromberg 81 (V8-60) carbs. These will look good, and yet not kill the low end as bad as two 97's.

tsoza86    -- 02-28-2010 @ 4:15 PM
  I would like to build it period correct for the late 40s to mid 50s. So any type of things that would make it look from then would be great. I'm not to familar with that era as i was bornin the mid 80's so any help on that area would help. I decided to just add front disc as i was told that would work great. Its running and driving but needs glass and a brake line from the master cylinder as it just sprung a leak recently. Thanks for the help I'm trying to get it ready for the pre 60's show in vegas in may

supereal    -- 03-01-2010 @ 7:26 AM
  Dan is "right on". Using multiple carbs on an early engine was easier because the distributor advance is governed by weights, while the later, 8BA type, has no weights, depending upon vacuum alone to adjust timing. This vacuum must be tapped in the carb, not directly from the manifold, as is the case with the early "snubber" set up. While there are very good aftermarket cams. it is hard to beat the original for wide band street performance. The more radical cam grinds alter the vacuum profile, particularly at low speeds, making the timing even more critical.

Stroker    -- 03-01-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  Tsoza: To get the most "appearance" bang for your buck, and still keep your Crestliner driving smoothly, I'd avoid a cam change, and just go with your dual manifold and a couple of Strombergs
(preferably 81's). Other period correct mods that will not degrade drivability would be to replace the stock oil filter with an aluminum "Beehive" style item, adding aluminum heads, and/or
chromed acorn capscrew covers, headers and some Smithy's mufflers, chrome-plated ignition coil, chromed generator wrap, chrome plating the thermostat housings, etc. All of these items will "dress" the engine compartment in 50's style without negative effects (except upon your wallet).

37Ragtopman: You might benefit from a slightly warmed cam profile, as you have increased the displacement via the Merc crank. Our V8 Times regular advertiser and contributor Red Hamilton has
some good advice on his web page.

Stroker    -- 03-01-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  Red Hamilton reprinted an article written by the Late, Great, Barney Navarro on late flathead distributors, which is accessible on his website. This is one of the best I ever seen on the subject of using multiple carbs on an 8BA (50 Crestliner motor).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=865