Topic: '47 Transmission Gear Oil Capacity

len47merc    -- 06-14-2015 @ 7:42 AM
  Figure 5 of the Lubrication Section 'C' of the Ford 1942-1948 Mercury Shop Manual/Service Handbook shows the transmission capacity for gear oil to be 2.75 quarts. Upon changing mine recently the amount of oil in the pan seemed less than this amount, even though the transmission was verified as full before emptying, so I measured the drained amount and found it to be 1.5 quarts. Also found upon refilling that it took 1.5 quarts before showing at the 'full' hole. Is the handbook incorrect or does the transmission hold some of the oil? Drove the car for 20 miles and checked upon return and the transmission still showed as full. Serial number matching transmission btw. Thanks -

Steve

cliftford    -- 06-14-2015 @ 8:37 AM
  For what it's worth, The Motor manual says 2 3/4 pints [or pounds] which is pretty close to what your transmission holds.

TomO    -- 06-14-2015 @ 8:44 AM
  Steve, I just changed mine and it took 2 3/4 pints. You must have had some oil left in your trans. I would not worry about the 2 ounces, it may have been in the gears and bearings if you had run your car just before draining. My car has been sitting since early April.

Tom

len47merc    -- 06-14-2015 @ 9:15 AM
  Thanks guys. Need new progressive glasses prescription I guess - after reading your responses I went back to the Shop Manual and it does, in fact, say '2.75 pts', not 'qts'. Bad case of old eyes &/or Sunday morning dyslexia. Appreciate you both weighing in supportively.

Yep - I had just driven the car this morning before draining and it was very warm and was also allowed to drain for 2 hours, so the very approximate extra two ounces drained likely came off the gearing and bearings as you suggest Tom. Probably lost 1+ ounces back out the hole after pumping/refilling before I removed the hose and fumbled the plug back into the fill hole as well.

Thanks again -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-14-15 @ 9:27 AM

supereal    -- 06-19-2015 @ 5:44 PM
  When filling the transmission or rear end, just add oil until in reaches the bottom of the filler hole. This helps prevent the usual puddle under the car from overfilling.

supereal    -- 06-19-2015 @ 5:44 PM
  When filling the transmission or rear end, just add oil until in reaches the bottom of the filler hole. This helps prevent the usual puddle under the car from overfilling.

supereal    -- 06-19-2015 @ 5:45 PM

supereal    -- 06-19-2015 @ 5:48 PM
  Sorry for the multiple responses. I've been off line for about a month to recuperate from some surgery, so I've lost my light touch to post.

len47merc    -- 06-19-2015 @ 6:21 PM
  supereal - glad to see you back! We've all missed you! Hope all is going well for you and all the best for a quick and successful recovery!

Steve

supereal    -- 06-19-2015 @ 8:32 PM
  Many thanks, Steve, and to all who have written and/or emailed. As I enter my 80th year, one of my hips called it a day. I have a shiny new one, but couldn't get one with a grease fitting!

trjford8    -- 06-21-2015 @ 7:00 AM
  Bob, glad to see you back. Every now and then us seniors need some new parts. Just got a new sealed beam after they removed the cataract.

TomO    -- 06-21-2015 @ 7:53 AM
  Bob,I hope that you asked for genuine Ford bearings.

Good to see you back. We all missed your sage advice.

Tom

joe b    -- 06-21-2015 @ 10:15 AM
  Super, WELCOME BACK !! I was wondering with great concern about why we saw no posts from you. You have been a tremendous help for me and others.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8622