Topic: Ignition resister for 48 Mercury

nelsonford    -- 06-13-2015 @ 4:31 PM
  I have a 48 Mercury coupe. There doesn't appear to be an ignition resister under the dash...just the lighting breakers and I did a resistance test as well and got a low value of .6 ohms which should be 40 ohms which is what the new resister is. I want to mount it on the coil for easy access. It was there when I bought the car. Does that sound okay?

interested to hear what you say, thanks

kubes40    -- 06-14-2015 @ 7:19 AM
  My late '47 Ford had the resister mounted authentically atop the coil. While I am far from an expert on these post war Fords, it seems to me the place mine was installed came about sometime earlier, perhaps late '46???

TomO    -- 06-14-2015 @ 8:48 AM
  The change for the ignition resister from inside the fire wall to the coil location, came about some time in 1947 when the cars went to the sea sh*ll horns. The date may have been different for Ford and Mercury as the wiring harness was changed to accommodate the several changes made at that time.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-14-15 @ 8:49 AM

len47merc    -- 06-14-2015 @ 9:52 AM
  From my reading and the manufacture date of my '47 (January, '47) this change, along with several other 'face lifting' changes, happened with the roll-out of the 'new', 'spring model' '47s beginning in April of '47. Most if not all prior to that point, including mine, have the resistor under the dash. April and thereafter, atop the coil.

Rusty Davis authored a series of articles on these changes and the timing of the same. The 1941-1948 Ford Book also speaks to these changes though Appendix D of the Book makes no specific mention of the resistor location change. In examining '47s with original glass still intact I have personally seen cars with Jan & March manufacture dates that have the resistor under the dash, and others with May and later dates that have the resistor atop the coil.

Fords and Mercurys produced from January thru the end of March of '47 were decreed as '47s by Ford but were basically '46s, with very few exceptions (a very limited number of a few of the 'spring model' features found their way into a handful or two of the pre-April Fords and Mercurys). Also - many of the serial numbers for the Jan-Mar Fords and Mercs show up as '46s (reference Van Pelt for example) though they actually were manufactured in '47 and titled as '47s (including mine).

nelsonford - assuming your discussion post is focused on the question of originality, placing the resistor as you reference should be correct. And, if it is simply a question of ease of access, you should be fine there as well also.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-14-15 @ 10:26 AM

nelsonford    -- 06-14-2015 @ 10:48 AM
  It's amazing you guys have all these answers right on the tip of your tongue and obviously they are correct. Thank you all very much...you made my day.

supereal    -- 06-20-2015 @ 2:20 PM
  If you have a round coil instead of the stock type, it is likely that the resistor is built in to the coil, and the stock resistor is unnecessary.

40 Coupe    -- 06-21-2015 @ 3:42 AM
  I believe the ignition resistor should be 0.5 Ohm. for a 6V. not 40 as you state above. The primary resistance of the coil is approximately 1.0 Ohm.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8621