Topic: FoMoCo Plug Wire set??

Bertha    -- 06-13-2015 @ 4:45 AM
  Has anyone found a reliable source for the OEM style wire set?
I tried a set from Dennis Carpenter and it turned out to be junk.
Every moulded end was filled with excess rubber and required clean out with a Dremel Tool. Three split when put on and all the ends had to be crimped to snap on the plugs. Everything available from other suppliers that I've checked looks to be from the same Mfg.

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

joe b    -- 06-13-2015 @ 5:23 AM
  I don't know if all vendors sell the same stuff but I bought a set from C&G. They have been on the engine for 6 years with no problem. Things may have changed since then. Hard to keep up with all this stuff.

TomO    -- 06-14-2015 @ 9:13 AM
  Bob, you should have sent the set back before modifying the ends. The Carpenters have been supporters of the hobby for quite a few years and do like to know when one of their products does not measure up.

What year is the car that you need wires for?

Tom

Bertha    -- 06-16-2015 @ 5:37 AM
  Tom,

53 Victoria.....

I really had no choice on using the replacements as the 62 yr old originals were toast, the insulation had broken down, significant crossfire.
I called Mac's, (15mi away) and they confirmed they use the same supplier for the FoMoCo 'logo' set.
I'm putting shrink wrap on the split boots to make due for the time being, hoping I can find a suitable replacement set.

On DC's web page for the wire set there is a made in America tag.....maybe so for these wires,(hard to believe though), but the oil filter I ordered said 'made in China' right on the box.

Joe,
C&G uses the same photo/description as DC & Mac's so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same Mfgr.

Bob

---

This message was edited by Bertha on 6-16-15 @ 5:55 AM

TomO    -- 06-16-2015 @ 6:35 AM
  Bob,

I think that all of the vendors use the same supplier for the script wire set. The process to get the license and make the dies is expensive and the price can be kept reasonable if all vendors buy from one manufacturer.

Why don't you just take a ride over to Mac's and inspect the wires before you purchase them. They may have some sets that are usable?

I would also let DC know your experience.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-16-15 @ 6:39 AM

Bertha    -- 06-16-2015 @ 9:11 AM
  Tom,

Yes, I do plan on a trip to Mac's. It's a bit strange though how much the price differs between venders for the same item.

Yes, I did let DC know...

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.
Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproductions
Carpenter Industries, Inc.
(704) 786-8139
http://www.dennis-carpenter.com

Bob

---

This message was edited by Bertha on 6-16-15 @ 9:12 AM

DD931    -- 06-17-2015 @ 8:47 AM
  I've had Carpenter's wires on my truck for at least 20 years with no problems.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8617