Topic: Western Meet

Bob56    -- 06-09-2015 @ 3:11 AM
  Does anyone know if there will be a Western Meet? Missed last years

v8teditor    -- 06-09-2015 @ 12:53 PM
  At this time there is NO Western Meet scheduled for 2015 or 2016. 2016 Central in OK and 2016 Eastern in PA. Watch for details here and in the V-8 TIMES.

JM    -- 06-20-2015 @ 5:42 AM
  Is there some good reason why none of the Western RG's are willing to step up to the plate to host a WNM in '15 or '16?

John

JM    -- 06-20-2015 @ 5:42 AM
  Delete duplicate post.

This message was edited by JM on 6-25-15 @ 3:32 PM

trjford8    -- 06-21-2015 @ 6:54 AM
  JM, most of us have no idea why there is no meet. There was some interest at one point from a group in Spokane, but it was voted down by the majority of that group. It was a shame as those that wanted to do it had a lot of enthusiasm and some great ideas.

From a personal viewpoint it has become increasingly difficult for groups in the greater San Francisco bay area to do meets due to the heavy traffic, finding a place to accommodate large numbers of people at affordable room rates and finding areas for tours, etc. As an example room rates in Napa average $250 per night and the larger hotels see no reason to give a group a special rate. I know because I have checked around. It's not much different in neighboring Sonoma county. Doing something out of our area is always possible, but that takes many trips back and forth on "our own dime". All of us made many trips to Lake Tahoe to put that meet together spending our own money on gas, rooms and food. I'm not complaining as we had a great time, but that is one of the obstacles for putting on a meet that is not close to home. Also setting a budget and hoping you can pay the expenses at the end of the meet can be scary for some RG's. It all comes down to volunteers and they are getting harder to find all the time.
I think we may be seeing a time when tours become more popular. The Black Hills Tour is a perfect example of an event that proved to be very popular. Tours are way less work for people and much easier to calculate the money needed to put one together. The concourse is an important part of any meet, but the bulk of the people who attend a meet are more interested in the tours , etc. I think that having fun and driving our old Fords has become more important.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-21-15 @ 7:39 AM

TomO    -- 06-21-2015 @ 8:11 AM
  Tom, I agree that holding a meet in large metropolitan areas is out of the question these days. Traffic around the cities is worse than driving in a demolition derby.

The new cars have all of the electronic toys to keep the drivers occupied and they do not have time to look out for the older cars or be courteous.

My suggestion is for the larger clubs based in metropolitan areas, get together with the smaller Regional Groups in ares away from the cities and host a joint meet in a more friendly environment. The the larger Group can lend financial assistance and meet experience to assist the smaller Group.

Putting on a National Meet is a lot of work and I can understand why the older members in Spokane did not want to host a meet. It took me a couple of months to recover from our meet in Springfield.

Tom

JM    -- 06-24-2015 @ 1:42 PM
  Tom and Tom, thank you for your replies. I had such a good time at the two western meets that I attended (St. George, Utah and S. Lake Tahoe, Nevada), that it concerned me that nothing was being planned for this year or next.

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-26-15 @ 7:48 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8602