Topic: Jump-starting 6V Pos grnd w/12V neg grnd

len47merc    -- 06-08-2015 @ 8:25 AM
  In pulling together a 'road-trip' set of tools and back-up parts, including a heavy-duty set of jumper cables, it occurred to me that I was not fully conversant with the (hopefully not required) process for jump-starting my '47 6V pos grnd system with a more-than-likely-only-thing-available-at-the-worst-possible time 12V neg grnd system. Clearly one needs to protect the points as well as the voltage regulator - can anyone advise the correct process for this? And after the car is started, what concerns exist, if any, for the generator throwing heavy juice to the battery to recharge it?

I believe I know but have never read this anywhere nor performed or seen it performed before, so an endorsement of what is technically correct is greatly appreciated.

Steve

joe b    -- 06-08-2015 @ 9:39 AM
  To jump start with a 12 volt battery put 12 volt positive (+) cable onto negative (-) cable on the 6 volt battery. Touch starter side of solenoid or starter post with other cable. Do this quickly and remove as soon as it starts. Works for me.

Old Henry    -- 06-08-2015 @ 1:42 PM
  Think not about which is ground and which isn't. Just hook positive to positive and negative to negative, never positive to negative as has been suggested. Disconnect as soon as starts or cables will start to burn. Done it many times with no problems. I have a 12 volt jump starter in my trunk that I've used way too many times. (Have never been able to find a 6 volt one.) Works fine.

ford38v8    -- 06-08-2015 @ 1:52 PM
  Henry is correct. I think Joe meant that, but got himself confused with the reversed polarity of the modern cars.

Alan

joe b    -- 06-08-2015 @ 4:26 PM
  Yep. I meant that. Shoulda proof read a bit better !!

Stroker    -- 06-08-2015 @ 4:45 PM
  I think the only real danger is if both vehicles have conductive bumpers (such as metal) and they are touching each other. This can create a dead short, as one is + and the other car will be - at the surface of the bumper.

len47merc    -- 06-09-2015 @ 4:21 AM
  Thanks to all - I had been advised previously that connecting a 12V battery through the entire system by simply connecting batteries pos-pos and neg-neg (versus, for instance, connecting the negative end of the jumper cable to a head bolt and touch the positive to the stud on the starter) is likely to damage the voltage regulator and burn the points. Urban legend or is there any substance to this?

Steve

Old Henry    -- 06-09-2015 @ 6:41 AM
  In all of my 12 volt jumps I've never suffered any such damage.

TomO    -- 06-09-2015 @ 7:52 AM
  Steve,

Never connect a 6 volt and 12 volt battery or system together, the 6 volt battery may explode and you can damage the 6 volt components.

The correct hookup with a 12 volt jumper, is to connect the POS cable to a ground away from the battery, on the EFV-8 to be jumped and the NEG cable to the starter terminal. Make sure that the bumpers are not touching. Do NOT push the starter button as you can connect the 12 volts to your 6 volt system.

IMHO, the best way to start an EFV-8 with a dead battery, is to push it. The jumper cables are used when that is not an option.

Tom

len47merc    -- 06-09-2015 @ 5:03 PM
  Thanks to all who responded - I've got it down now should it become necessary.

Steve

LazarusLong    -- 06-14-2015 @ 5:25 PM
  My opinion is that electricity is magic,and shouldn't be messed with.

The few times I have done this I did it by taking the battery cables off the battery of the 12 volt car and then connecting positive to positive and negative.

It may not be bold or adventurous,but I see no way the points,condensor,or coil on a old Ford or the modern electronics/computer on a modern car could be damaged this way.

IMHO it is better to do a little bit of work to disconnect the battery cables on a 12 car for a jump than it is to have to buy a bunch of new parts for your car or the jumper car.

This message was edited by LazarusLong on 6-14-15 @ 5:26 PM

VT/JeffH    -- 06-21-2015 @ 5:29 PM
  The key here is to connect the cables to the old car starter post and ground, but not the new one. When ready to start the old car, have the helper touch the cable to the new battery and unconnect as soon as old car is started. I tell my helper, YOU ARE MY STARTER BUTTON.

When in doubt, park facing a nice dowhill!

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-21-15 @ 5:31 PM

TomO    -- 06-22-2015 @ 6:43 AM
  VT/JeffH,

Making the last connection at a battery can result in an explosion. The new sealed batteries are more explosion resistant than the open batteries of the past, but there is still the possibility of hydrogen gas being vented and there is the likelihood of a spark when the last connection is made.

I prefer to make the last connection a grounding connection.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8600