Topic: 1934 ford dismemberment for paint/body work

lbford25    -- 06-06-2015 @ 1:42 PM
  Hey Guys..see you on the road soon! does anyone have some thoughts on how much dismemberment to do for paint and body work? The body shops i have visited have me as total dismemberment for this and i am reluctant to do this.

David J    -- 06-06-2015 @ 6:51 PM
  Your call of course but that car is BUTEEFUL just as it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would get rid of the sealed beams , ding around a little on the board and rear fender and leave it . It is just oozing character IMHO . Congrats on finding a gem ! .. Dave

1934 Ford    -- 06-06-2015 @ 7:30 PM
  Looks like a great find and appears to be drivable.
When I did my Tudor I took off the fenders, running boards, hood, bumpers, grill, windshield & windows,gas tank cover & interior. I kept it drivable the whole restoration except engine work which I did first.
With it stripped that far, you'll get at the bad places in the body easier. This picture was a 26 years post restoration. It took 26 years to wear it out again. Good for two Great American Races and several Glidden Tours, plus hundreds of local Florida tours.

Paul

1934 Ford's since 1972. If you don't drive them, you might as well collect clocks.

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 6-7-15 @ 7:30 AM

TomO    -- 06-07-2015 @ 8:55 AM
  To get the best possible paint job, you should completely disassemble the car, have it returned to bare meatal and expect to pay big money. This allows repair and refinish of all of the areas that are hidden and where paint failure can start.

You can get a very nice driver quality paint job by removing the fenders, hood and grill and motor. This will allow the painter to do the firewall and underside of the fenders and hood. You may experience some paint failure due to contamination creeping out from the hidden areas, but most of them will be cleaned up. The failure will most likely be minor with some cracking or bubbling.

You can leave the car as is and get a paint job that looks OK to most people. Expect some paint failure after a few years.

The more you take apart, the easier it is to refurbish the parts and paint them.

What ever you decide, remember that a paint job is only as good as the work preparing it. The cost of preparation will probably exceed the cost of painting by at least 3 times.

It is your car and you have to be happy with the results and cost.

Like David, I think it looks great as is.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-7-15 @ 9:10 AM

Brendan    -- 06-07-2015 @ 9:04 AM
  I would drive it the way it is! to do it right you are talking about a full restoratio , make it safe an reliable. if you put all that money into your car you will not wont to drive it

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8590