Topic: 1936 Sedan Battery Cable

forJJ    -- 06-05-2015 @ 3:12 PM
  Under the car where the battery goes, there are two flat, braided cables. I know the one cable with the battery terminal end goes to the battery, but I can't figure out where the cable with the flat end on it goes and how to attach it.

Jason

keith oh    -- 06-05-2015 @ 6:09 PM
  post end goes on the positive battery post, flat end goes to one of the starter mounting bolts. Make sure they are very clean and tight. This is assuming the system is as original positive ground system.

forJJ    -- 06-05-2015 @ 6:16 PM
  What about the other flat cable? There is no hole in it. In the pic, there are two separate cables, I don't know where the other one goes

nelsb01    -- 06-05-2015 @ 6:52 PM
  Just did this..........
The one end goes to the battery post (-) and the other end should attach to the front universal joint bolt outer cap (on drivers side)

One suggestion: Go to the main home webpage and click on Online Store and order the 1935-1936 Ford Book that the Club produces -- the above information is in that.
You will be GLAD you spent the money.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 6-5-15 @ 6:55 PM

Don Rogers    -- 06-06-2015 @ 5:14 AM
  On an original 36 Ford, there should only be (1) braided cable. As others have said, it should go from the (+) battery terminal to the bolt holding the universal joint cap together. There is another insulated cable going from the (-) battery terminal to the starter (floor) switch.

Don Rogers    -- 06-06-2015 @ 5:17 AM
  Another image

Don Rogers    -- 06-06-2015 @ 5:18 AM
  Oops

forJJ    -- 06-06-2015 @ 8:29 AM
  Thanks for the help, I am guessing the other cable was added on later, I just can't figure out how it was attached. It doesn't show in the picture I took, but I think the other end of the mystery cable is bolted to the frame. I will look later today. Has anyone every heard of mounting a second ground cable?

And, I do have the book. It's great, but it didn't mention the second cable, so that's why I asked about it here.

trjford8    -- 06-06-2015 @ 8:34 AM
  Many times people add additional ground cables. As with any early Ford system grounding is critical and adding extra grounds cannot hurt and mostly help the electrical system.Just make sure all grounds make a clean contact with the metal where they attach.

shogun1940    -- 06-06-2015 @ 8:55 AM
  it looks like the end is broken off,, a new cable or solder the end and put a hole in it,,but it may be to short

40 Coupe    -- 06-06-2015 @ 10:03 AM
  It does indeed look like the entire end of the one cable is eroded off and the other is not far behind (acid has eroded it badly also). As for where or if, they are attached on the other end, only you can say.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8585