Topic: gear oil for rear end and transmission

flatfoot    -- 06-03-2015 @ 3:53 PM
  Does anyone sell SAE 90 or better gear oil. Saw synthetic, but want just plain oil.

alanwoodieman    -- 06-03-2015 @ 4:09 PM
  I go to tractor supply and buy it in gallons or five gallons. most farm implement dealers, parts people will have it, heck sometime even autozone!

len47merc    -- 06-03-2015 @ 6:11 PM
  Fwiw - Used to search out the straight 90 gear oil (alanwoodieman gave you good sourcing advice - same source here for me) but am now running conventional 80W-90 in the rear end and transmission during the winter and can tell no difference between this and the straight 90. During the summer months here in NC I switch to 85W-140 in the rear diff only and it has worked great. Others on this forum run the 85W-140 in the transmissions as well - I have endeavored to stay consistent with the Ford '42-'48 Mercury SHOP MANUAL/Service Handbook (multi-weight notwithstanding) and have had no issues using the multi-weights (both weights purchased in gallons from a local national auto parts chain [edit - Advance Auto] btw). Were I to take a long trip in July/August here &/or across the south/southwest I might consider the 85W-140 for the trip only.

The timing of your post was interesting - literally just walked in from the garage after changing the oil in the rear diff (changed to 85W-140), transmission and engine in prep for the drive to Charlotte next week and saw your question.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-3-15 @ 7:15 PM

voced    -- 06-05-2015 @ 4:35 AM
  I have been using the 600 W that is in my other Model A and T's. Is this the wrong thing to do?

cliftford    -- 06-05-2015 @ 5:05 AM
  I also use 600W in my Model A and T's. It's the recommended lube for these cars.

VT/JeffH    -- 06-07-2015 @ 7:13 PM
  I'm not an expert, but I think I read that the 600 weight lube was not rated using an/or the same industry standard, such as the SAE Viscocity ratings applied to multi-viscocity lubes.

So it's not an apples to apples comparison, IF I'm on the right track.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8579