Topic: speedometer cable

lpthompson    -- 06-02-2015 @ 5:41 PM
  i have a41 super deluxe tudor and the speedometer cable was twisted ordered a new one which was 70 inches long put it on it it twisted almost immediately when I got to checking things out looks like the cable is to long can anyone tell if there is another length than 70 inches seems like everyone sells the 70 inch all help is apreciated

TomO    -- 06-03-2015 @ 7:13 AM
  The 70" cable replaced the 69" cable as a service replacement and it should work in your car.

Are you replacing just the inner cable or the cable and housing?

Did you check the speedometer for a bind? Use part of the damaged cable and insert the end into the back of the speedometer. Try to turn the cable counter clockwise. It should turn easily.

Tom

lpthompson    -- 06-03-2015 @ 6:24 PM
  cable works fine on speedometer end but when you run the cable to the transmission it hangs way down and when the car moves it twists the cable housing and brakes the inner cable and kinks the casing

TomO    -- 06-04-2015 @ 7:25 AM
  It sounds like you may have routed the cable incorrectly. The one inch additional length should not be a problem.

Look in the Roster to see if there is a 41-48 Ford near where you live. Give the member a call and ask if you can see how his speedometer cable is routed. I don't have any photos of the speedometer routing on these cars or I would post it.

Tom

moldmaker    -- 06-04-2015 @ 3:50 PM
  For what it's worth, here's my similar experience. Replaced the cable on my '40 and had same twisted problem. I found that I could push the end into the speedometer by hand and it would turn freely. However when I tightened up the retainer nut to hold it in, it would bind up. Finally compared the new core to the old original core and found that the swedged-on fitting that fits into the speedometer was slightly longer on the new one. Ended up using the old core in the new jacket.

lpthompson    -- 06-04-2015 @ 4:27 PM
  thanks will give both ideas a try thanks
leonard

baceves    -- 06-05-2015 @ 3:45 PM
  I have a 47 Ford Super Deluxe. I just replaced my speedomoeter cable. After you connect the cable to the Speedometer you need to run it through the firewall to the transmission. There is a clip that is on the underside of the frame that the speedometer cable snaps into so the cable doesnt sag. I will take a pic and upload when i get a chance.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8576