Topic: 39 radio install

paxton    -- 06-02-2015 @ 7:30 AM
  Aftermaket vendors show a T-bolt and flatwasher and a nut to install the 39 ford radio to the firewall. However the T bolt is about the only thing that resembles the original. The Ford install book shows a cupped flat washer with tuliped edges, intended to ground the unit. Anyone have this original setup and could post a picture of everything and dimentions of the t bolt and washer(s)? Or sell or loan me an original. The ugly fender washer that vendors are selling is not what the install book shows.

Chris.NZ    -- 06-03-2015 @ 10:22 PM
  Try Roy Nacewicz - he has those correct scalloped washers.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.

paxton    -- 06-05-2015 @ 2:09 PM
  I went to his ebay store and all he shows is fender washers in his kit. Those are not what is shown in the ford install book. If you are describing the smaller internal/external lock washers, this is not what I am reffering to. The larger flatwashers are supposed to be cupped and have a tuliped edge that "bites" into the firewall to ground the radio box. The originals also have another fiber washer that lays between the firewall and cupped flatwasher as shown in the install book. I don`t think the kit he is selling is correct. But thankyou for trying to help.

camsaure    -- 06-06-2015 @ 9:27 AM
  Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there two different kits? One for Zenith and one for Philco, maybe the picture shows only one of the kits.

40 Coupe    -- 06-06-2015 @ 9:54 AM
  The club restoration book shows two different size and detail difference between the Zenith and the Philco hardware.

Chris.NZ    -- 06-06-2015 @ 6:40 PM
  You're right.
I could have sworn I saw the cupped washers there also.
Must have been a senior moment.
I have several 1939 Philco and Zenith radios with those washers.
Wouldn't be hard to have a machine shop make you up some.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8574