Topic: 1936 Ford

volvo1800s    -- 05-29-2015 @ 7:32 AM
  This may be a real long shot but I thought I would ask. Christmas eve, 1938, my parents set out from Corvallis, Oregon, drove to Las Cruces, NM to visit a sister, then to Massachusetts. I don't know when they sold the car but it may have been in Kansas or even Oregon later. I think it was black, hump-back. Dad's name was Paul Talich. Does anyone have a way to look up ownership on something like this? Is the car still alive? I have a 1966 Volvo 1800S that I bought new; my first car. So I have kind of gotten interested in some of this old car stuff, regardless of make.

trjford8    -- 05-29-2015 @ 5:12 PM
  With today's privacy laws it is almost impossible to trace a car.Without any history of where it was sold and who bought it there's almost no chance to find the car, especially since it was sold so long ago.

36Flatback    -- 05-31-2015 @ 7:33 AM
  If you had the VIN there is an outside chance you could have data bases searched by a company that searches that sort of thing.

Dave C.

volvo1800s    -- 05-31-2015 @ 8:16 AM
  Thanks. Car is probably part of a Honda by now. I plan on retracing the trip this year in my Volvo. Probably cost me more than the $66.85 they spent for gas, oil, food, & lodging!

wmsteed    -- 05-31-2015 @ 10:05 AM
  Unfortunately, do to the fact that each state has their own Department of Motor Vehicles, which negates the need for a national registry, there is no means to trace the history of vehicles.
Another problem is license plates.. Vehicles are generally tracked by their license plates, which historically expire annually, being replaced with a new plate. In some states the license plates go with the vehicle, in other states the plates are the property of the registered owner and therefore are reused on the replacement vehicle.
The advent of company's like "CARFAX" and the developments in recent years wherein, the vehicle VIN is required to have a vehicle serviced and/or purchase parts, will in time change the whole dynamics of tracing vehicles.
A case in point; I recently rebuilt a '64 Chevy pickup. I re-powered the vehicle with a '97 5.7 Vortec engine and a 4L60 trans. I also used a chassis from a '97 GM 1500 under the truck. The truck is titled and licensed as a '64 Chevy, therefore it is smog exempt, however, in order to purchase parts or have it serviced, I have to use the VIN.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8562