Topic: Steering Wheel Key Size 1932-1948

alt63bird    -- 05-25-2015 @ 10:02 AM
  Frustrated - trying to find size for the steering wheel half-moon key B-3609 in order to fit steering wheel on my '40 V8 Tudor, which has had the wheel and column mast removed for 36+ years, so that the car can be moved from its long-time resting place in order to start work on it. Searching the Forum's archives didn't yield any dimensional information; the "Green Bible" and reprint of '38-'40 Chassis Parts books I have all list part number (B-3609) but do not give any dimensional information as well. As far as I know, since it doesn't have a standard/utility part number it's not listed in the hardware sections/catalogs. Roy Nacewicz's catalog has part number R-647, but it also has no dimensional information: yes, I could just "bite the bullet" and order it (and get raped on the shipping fee for a $2 item I should be able to find in a well-stocked hardware store), but all I'm wanting to do right now is set the wheel on the shaft without the column mast in place (dash has been long-removed from the car) so I can turn/steer to get it on a trailer. I really don't want to use a pipe wrench to turn the shaft/gear.

shogun1940    -- 05-25-2015 @ 4:07 PM
  I would go to the hardware store and buy a couple different sizes and then file it down until it fits right

TomO    -- 05-26-2015 @ 6:24 AM
  You can just tighten the steering wheel onto the tapered shaft to steer it when pushing by hand. Be sure to put a note on the wheel so you do not try to drive the car this way. Then order the key with other parts.

The 9n Tractor Forum gives the size 3/16"x3/4". The tractor uses the same key as the cars.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-26-15 @ 4:43 PM

39 Ken    -- 05-27-2015 @ 3:41 AM
  McMaster-Carr has those Woodruff keys. Probably NAPA as well.

trjford8    -- 05-27-2015 @ 8:47 AM
  Ace Hardware also has woodruff keys. Take your steering wheel to the hardware store and find one that fits the keyway in the wheel.

alt63bird    -- 05-27-2015 @ 8:30 PM
  Thanks for the dimension: ironic as I also frequent a couple of 9N/2N/8N forums for my '44 2N. Since I always try to "keep it local" before resorting to ordering online, I'll give my local Ace Hardware a try. Now to find the shaft nut...

I did get ahold of a bubble pack of assorted woodruff keys at my local O'Reily's Auto Parts store and fitted the largest one in the notch of a steering shaft I had lying around (it was tight), but I really wanted the overall height to confirm that dimension before determining if I needed to file it down before fitting the old steering wheel.

TomO    -- 05-28-2015 @ 6:51 AM
  The nut is a special check nut. P/N 33947. It is a 5/8-18 that is thinner than normal and wider across the flats.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8551