Topic: rear hub bearing sleeves.

camsaure    -- 05-17-2015 @ 11:49 AM
  I have a few questions about the sleeves in the rear hubs. I have some "wide five" rear brake drums and the ones with the best brake drum surfaces have some slight pitting in the inner bearing surfaces. These were supposed to be replaceable after sometime in 1936. Does anyone make replacements or have a pair of Ford NOS? How did the K R Wilson puller attach to these and pull them? Any other suggestions on how to pull them using "other" methods? The service bulletins said little about the subject. Could they be pulled by placing a washer behind the snap ring and pulling against that or are they to tight a fit for that method? Any help appreciated, Thanks, Cam

TomO    -- 05-18-2015 @ 6:38 AM
  I don't know if anybody has replacement outer bearing races for sale. I believe the P/N is 68-1236-A. These are used with the 1 piece hub and drum.

I would have a machine shop press out the old and press in a new one.

Tom

v8teditor    -- 05-18-2015 @ 8:02 AM
  For the definitive answer on replacement axle bearing sleeves and their installation, contact John Connelly at COLUMBIA TWO SPEED PARTS. See their advertisement on page 13 of the TIMES. They have to be pressed on and he can do it. Of course you'll have to ship them to him in CA or he can probably supply the part and you can find a local machine shop to do it.

www.columbiatwospeedparts.com

Re-reading your question, I probably misread your question and provided an answer for the axle bearing sleeves. Regardless, John can probably tell you what you need to know.

This message was edited by v8teditor on 5-18-15 @ 8:09 AM

avrotom    -- 05-20-2015 @ 7:44 AM
  KRW tool VZ-199 puller page 15 of the 1940 catalogue.
I picked up 2 NOS sleeves at "All Ford Parts" 68-1236. just last year.
Have not changed them yet, and may not have to. Have to make up that puller first anyhow.

camsaure    -- 05-22-2015 @ 11:31 AM
  Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a fairly decently equipped shop and would like to attempt to pull them myself. I do not have the KRW puller but would need to make or improvise a puller. I find it is usually no better methods then KRW had, but was just wondering if anyone knows where exactly the puller hooked onto the sleeve/outer race? Thanks.

avrotom    -- 05-24-2015 @ 8:22 PM
  There are three "reliefs" in the washer that the sleeve bottoms on, and it would appear that the puller had puller arms that went into these reliefs and pulled out the sleeve. I have looked at the picture many times but have not made the puller. I can scan the KRW page if you need it.

camsaure    -- 05-25-2015 @ 9:46 PM
  Thanks!! Yes a scan would help, I do have reprints of some of the KRW catalogs but cannot seem to find them anywhere. Thanks again for the assistance. Cam

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8530