Topic: Ford 94 carb

ldh2176    -- 05-16-2015 @ 10:03 AM
  Hi folks, still working on the 41 fordor police replica and getting close to being done. I have had the engine running but after it sets the fuel is draining out of the fuel bowl. Any thoughts on where I should look to fix the problem. Thanks as always.

camsaure    -- 05-16-2015 @ 10:18 AM
  Could be the power valve.

len47merc    -- 05-16-2015 @ 12:32 PM
  ldh2176 - Where you say '...after it sets...', how long to you mean by 'sets'? May help a bit more in diagnosing your problem if we had some clarification on that word. Thanks in advance -

Steve

Stroker    -- 05-16-2015 @ 2:18 PM
  I think he means "when it SITS".

len47merc    -- 05-16-2015 @ 2:27 PM
  Agree Stroker - so whether 'sets' or 'sits', how long does it do either before the bowl is empty? If it sits/sets for a couple of hours and the bowl is empty that's likely one or two possible problems worthy of immediate attention. If it sits/sets for a few days, a week, or two or three or four and the bowl is low/empty then that may be a different issue that may be of less concern. Just curious before I weighed in with thoughts. Sounded like the bowl was draining very soon after ldh2176 shut it off, but I did not want to assume that before responding.

Steve

ldh2176    -- 05-16-2015 @ 3:45 PM
  It set for about two weeks before I tried to start it again and the bowl was dry. I took the carb off, took the bottom section off, put fuel in the bowl and let it set level but cannot see any fuel loss. The next day some fuel was still in the bowl. Not sure how many days it will go before it all drains out. Power valve and gasket are new. Thanks again for input.

ken ct.    -- 05-16-2015 @ 4:12 PM
  You may have the wrong PV and or the gasket is not sealing. Most if not all kits coming from China and some in the usa have the wrong PV in the kits and the crummy triangle hole in the gasket there too soft a material.2 weeks is about the limit of gas staying in the bowl , it will evaporate after that time. Pay attention to what your being advised this is a common problem with Asian parts. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 05-17-2015 @ 4:55 AM
  ken ct. - in your opinion is it unusual &/or indicative of a serious problem for the fuel to evaporate (or 'disappear' without showing itself anywhere in liquid form) from the bowl of a 94 carb over a two week period? Appreciate your thoughts here.

ldh2176 - as the fuel is, by whatever means, disappearing from the bowl do you sense any STRONG scent of fuel?

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-17-15 @ 4:57 AM

ken ct.    -- 05-17-2015 @ 7:17 AM
  If its evaporating after 2 weeks you have no problem. If gone in 1 to say 10 days the bowl is empty I would say you have a leak. Smell the dipstick if it smells gas you have a leak , the gas is going in the oil pan. ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 05-17-2015 @ 7:24 AM
  BTW if you removed the top section NEVER reuse a gasket on a carb. It will always leak use new ones there cheap enough.OMO ken ct

len47merc    -- 05-17-2015 @ 7:48 AM
  ldh2176 - I asked ken ct. for his input as, if you are not aware, he is a seasoned re-builder and expert on our carbs. I also asked you for how much time would elapse before the bowl is empty as it is not unusual, from my experience anyway, for the bowl to evaporate naturally after 'setting' for a couple of weeks or more. I have ran both brand new and rebuilt 94s in my somewhat limited EFV8 ownership time and all in good condition have typically exhibited partial-to-full evaporation of the bowl over that long a period of time, sometimes requiring a very brief full choke to quickly use the engine's vacuum to refill the bowl. I rarely if ever smell even a hint of fuel during this evaporation period, but if a carb is leaking (like the original was when first bringing the engine back to life and before the carb was rebuilt), whether out of the carb onto the exterior &/or manifold or in to the manifold/engine the garage would reek of the smell.

As ken ct. notes if it is evaporating/disappearing over that long a period of time you likely do not have a problem. If it is evaporating/disappearing much more quickly than that you should have a noticeable, strong scent of fuel around the vehicle (and possibly on the dipstick as well) and you should look for the source of the leak such, as noted, the PV, PV gasket, other gaskets, etc..

Steve

ldh2176    -- 05-17-2015 @ 1:38 PM
  Thanks to everyone. This time lapse diagnosis makes perfect sense. I will put it back together and back on the engine and assess the loss of fuel on a daily basis. By the way...fyi...this engine was built by Alan Mest
In Gardena Calif. He was featured in Hemmings in July 2007. Very pleased with this engine. He does have a lot of old ford parts.
Very nice person.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8527