Topic: Insurance

42oink    -- 05-14-2015 @ 2:10 PM
  I'm just about ready to get the old Ford on the road and have received some wild quotes on insurance, from almost $500. for 6 mos from GEICO to less than $200. per year from Hagerty, same coverage. Has anyone had good or bad experience with Hagerty that they could share? This is just between you and me. Thanks and hope to be cruising this summer. 42oink.

len47merc    -- 05-14-2015 @ 3:14 PM
  Hagerty - good, reputable, solid coverage with additional benefits you pay for. If those bene's are not for you, there are other reputable co's out there such as Infinity (and others) that can lower your costs beyond Hagerty and provide solid coverage. Have used both and cannot complain about either - with Infinity now and am quite pleased with pricing and coverage. Others likely have their own preference - look at the benefits and decide what you need and what you are willing to pay for. Hagerty was good for me when I was with them.

Suggest you focus only on vintage/classic car insurance companies. Mainline co's typically = $$$'s regardless of whether you have multicar, homeowners &/or unbrella coverage discounts or not.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-14-15 @ 3:30 PM

TonyM    -- 05-14-2015 @ 3:28 PM
  I went with my insurer of over 30 years: State Farm. The policy (with agreed value) costs me only $180 per year. State Farm has the same antique car prohibitions that other insurers have. State Farm wanted photos of the car front, back, side and quarters for the exam (no appraisal). Comparable to Hagerty and others.

78-730B

carson nv    -- 05-14-2015 @ 7:45 PM
  I have Hagerty. They insured my '40 for $75k with only photos, no appraisal, 10 miles free towing, guaranteed flatbed. $428/yr for me and my wife.

Drbrown    -- 05-14-2015 @ 9:09 PM
  (1) check with your state insurance department to see if the company must be registered/approved by them. (2) have they received complaints about the company ? (3) determine if the company imposes an annual maximum mileage limit. (4) per carson nv, be mindful of towing and transportation provisions and limitations of your disabled vehicle i.e. distance limitations [how to get it home], type of transport [towing/dragging does mechanical damage; flatbed best] .... get it to an enclosed secure place. Happy Motoring !!

This message was edited by Drbrown on 5-14-15 @ 9:15 PM

trjford8    -- 05-16-2015 @ 7:19 AM
  I use Grundy , but have friends who use Hagerty. After the earthquake out here last year we all suffered some damage to our Fords. Both companies responded quickly when called, sent an adjuster who was familiar with old cars, and the claims were handled quickly and professionally. I would recommend either company. You determine just how good a company is when they respond to a customer claim.

TomO    -- 05-17-2015 @ 8:27 AM
  Another company with a good reputation is Condon and Skelly. JC Taylor also provides good service.

Get an "Agreed Value" policy. This means that if there is damage to your vehicle, they will pay up to the agreed value to repair or replace the car.

Check how roadside service is provided. Some companies require you call their provider and other let you call any provider and will reimburse you. The second option is better in my opinion, I base this on having to wait 3 hours for a AAA tow vehicle, the one time that I needed them in over 15 years of belonging.

Tom

silverchief    -- 05-22-2015 @ 3:38 PM
  Have had my 46 with State Farm about 10 years with no complaints. $165.00 per year - no mileage or "show only" restrictions. As someone previously mentioned, mailed photos to their natl office, and they agreed with my estimate of value as regards total loss. No appraisal. Also, they remind me regularly to be aware of increase in value as concerns collector cars.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8520