Topic: First Time Post

36Flatback    -- 05-12-2015 @ 9:18 AM
  I have belonged to the club for awhile, but have never posted anything before. I grew up with flatheads and finally got a chance to have another last year. I never had a 221 so there are some differences and I am not as agile as I once was, so I do find it challenging doing the things I use to do. I have attached a photo of my 36 taken a couple of weeks ago and hope to find out more about mechanical brakes as I know little about them,

Dave C.

1934 Ford    -- 05-12-2015 @ 3:36 PM
  Welcome Dave C.
The original mechanical brakes can be made to work pretty well, but still you have to drive it like you expect them to fade when hot.
What is it, that you are asking?

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 5-12-15 @ 3:37 PM

36Flatback    -- 05-12-2015 @ 6:50 PM
  I bought some Flathead Ted enhancers and I think I will need some guidance for installation. You are right, you have to plan your stops. I do know a local fellow who has some knowledge of the brakes so some warm summer day we will try it.

Dave C.

trjford8    -- 05-13-2015 @ 7:36 AM
  Dave, welcome to the forum. One of the things you might consider is joining a regional group in your area. There's a lot of knowledge and help in those groups, especially if you are new to the V-8 world.

36Flatback    -- 05-13-2015 @ 9:50 AM
  Thanks I did get in touch with the #147 Group and I am going to the next meeting. I was use to the mid-forty's flatheads and find the 21 stud engine just a bit different. I bought an oil filter (head mount), but the 21 stud don't seem to have the connection points the later flatheads had. Just another project that I will enjoy in my retirement.

Dave C.

Hal    -- 05-13-2015 @ 2:39 PM
  36 flat back
I had a friend of mine install some brake energizer's
on my 36 ford. Now my car stops on a dime. Just as good hyd brake's or better.
Hal

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8514