Topic: '40 Generator

carson nv    -- 05-06-2015 @ 8:01 PM
  Hi all, I recently put a new voltage regulator on my '40. Only because the old one was grungy. That regulator failed in about the first hour. The vendor exchanged it with another one and its been working fine for some time but now I've lost my charge again. I did some testing with a volt meter when running and I get no reading at the field terminal of the generator or the regulator. There's about 1v at the armature terminal at fast idle. Do I have another failed regulator? Or is it the generator this time?
I expected 6 volts at the field to "excite" the field but I'm no electrician.
Any advise would be great.

cliftford    -- 05-06-2015 @ 8:42 PM
  First make sure the regulator is well grounded to the body,and all the connections are clean, If that doesn't do it, get a good manual on trouble shooting the charging system.

TomO    -- 05-07-2015 @ 4:45 PM
  Poor grounding of the regulator can burn out the generator. If your grounds are good perform the following steps.

Connect the voltmeter to the BATT post of the regulator, you should read battery voltage (6.3 V). Next start the engine and view the meter when the engine is at 1500RPM or about 20mph. The meter should read generator output voltage (7.2 - 7.6v).

If you are still getting battery voltage, connect a jumper from the Field to the ARM terminals of the regulator. If you get more than 7.6 Volts, your generator is OK and the regulator is bad. If you do not get more than 7.6 V, take your generator and regulator to a generator repair service.

Tom

carson nv    -- 05-07-2015 @ 7:59 PM
  Thank you Tom. I tested for increased voltage when running but there isn't any. 6.3v all around. I was afraid to jump across any terminals but I will do the test you suggested. I'm still curious what would be a normal reading, with a volt meter, at the field terminal of the generator or the regulator when running?
Thanks!

This message was edited by carson nv on 5-7-15 @ 8:00 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8491