Topic: 39 Deluxe Speedometer

39Fordfan    -- 05-06-2015 @ 12:09 AM
  I thought I scr*w*d some work up I did last year when I took the 39 Deluxe out of storage this Spring, and found the Speedo stopped working (Again).

Last year I had to replace the lower gear that interfaces between the speedometer cable and the transmission, as a couple of the teeth had broken off. (I think I know why, which is another story.)

The cable and the speedo worked fine with a drill. Then they were working good while driving. When I changed the lower gear the vendor I bought it from said it would be a different amount of teeth from the original. If I remember correctly, I had a 19 tooth gear, now I've got 21. I'm not sure how accurate it is now.

The problem now is that the needle has fallen off of the pin in the speedometer. To repair this, is this simply taking the speedo off from the back and trying to crimp the needle back in, or is there something more to it? What is involved with removing the speedo from the back? Anything to be aware of? Do you think all the messing around I did below the speedo vibrated the needle loose? Or do I have bigger problems with the speedo? Do you think the new gearing and speed had something to do with it?

Thanks for your thoughts and replies!

TomO    -- 05-06-2015 @ 7:11 AM
  The 19 tooth gear is used with the 3.78:1 rear end ratio. The 21 tooth gear was used with the 4.11:1 ratio. your speedometer will read about 9% off. You should be able to find a 19 tooth turtle and gear as they were the most common. Place a want ad on this site or the Ford Barn.

The speedometer needle is a press fit. I would take the speedometer to a local clock repair facility and ask them to press it back on for you. Take pictures of the car with you, to get some interest in your problem.

I doubt that anything you did caused the needle to fall off. Same for the new gearing. It just decided to fall off.

Disconnect the battery before you remove the cluster

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-6-15 @ 7:12 AM

39Fordfan    -- 05-06-2015 @ 11:11 AM
  Thank-you so much Tomo!

Another question is about the speedometer itself. According to the pictures in the '39 Ford Manuel, it appears that I have a '38 Deluxe speedometer. Are these pictures from the book the final word on this? So that somewhere in a restoration someone put a '38 Deluxe speedometer in a '39? Or did some of these parts cross over from one year to another?

len47merc    -- 05-06-2015 @ 12:55 PM
  39Fordfan - What month in '39 was your car built (from date codes on window glass bugs)? My '47 has date codes on the speedometer, radio and clock of mid-to-late December of '46, while the window bugs and documentation show the car's manufacture was completed in January of '47 and the car sold in March of '47. The clock and speedo are all consistent with the 1946 thru early April of '47 styles, after which the new styles for '47 were employed. General reference is made to my case in the '41-'48 Ford Book. Most all of us have seen many iterations on various years where Ford used up old stock before switching over to new designs and pattterns though I am not sure how common this was with the '38 to '39's. If it were anything other than a '38 speedo the likelihood of it being original would clearly be zero, but as a '38 with a bit of research you may be able to validate it as technically correct (at least from an 'in all likelihood' perspective) or with confidence confirm it to be a down-the-road replacement. Check it against the other date codes available on the interior and original glass.

Any general references in the '39 Ford manual to post-Jan 1 design changes/implementations?

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-6-15 @ 1:52 PM

TomO    -- 05-07-2015 @ 4:51 PM
  Check with the 38-39 Adviser. He has done quite a bit of research on these cars and would be able to give you an informed opinion on whether a 38 gauge could be factory installed in a 39.

My guess would be that it is very unlikely and that someone installed a working gauge that fit.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8484