Topic: 36 crankshaft pulley removal

40fordor    -- 02-23-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  Can the crankshaft pulley be removed and replaced while everything remains in place, or does the engine require extraction?
Don

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-23-2010 @ 2:33 PM
  You should be able to drop the generator, and remove the belt, next jack up the car, remove the bottom pan,[ the one that is under and back of the radiator and grill ] and from the bottom everything should be exposed,and loosen the crankshaft ratchet bolt,and slide the pulley forward and off,it should do this,
now if you want to replace the seal you will have to remove the pan,and crossover exhaust pipe,and also the front motor mounts, and raise the engine,to clear the oil pan and front chassis crossmember,so you have enough room,if should be pretty simple,not unless I missed something,why do you want to remove the front pulley?
let hear how you made out,37RAGTOPMAN

40fordor    -- 02-23-2010 @ 6:13 PM
  37RAGTOPMAN,
The shaft pulley on my phaeton is warped and induces a vibration starting just above 50mph. I can also feel it when stopped and race the engine. The pulley movement is enough that it is very visable with the emgine idleing. Thank you for the response and I will try going in as you indicated. My car does not have the pan already.
Don

supereal    -- 02-24-2010 @ 11:47 AM
  Be sure to check the crank for runout. When a crank pulley is hard to remove, it may be due to a slightly bent nose on the crank. They bend easier than one might think, and a very small runout is amplified by the pulley and belt. If it does wobble, the crank will have to be removed and set up in a press to try to fix it. The bending happens when an engine is dropped into the frame and bangs on the crossmember. When replacing the pulley, we do install a new set of seals, and a new pulley, if you can find one. C&G sells good used pulleys for your car, 18-6312, for about $100. The seal surface on the crank pulley usually has a worn ring where the seal mates to it, and should be closely inspected.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-24-2010 @ 1:47 PM
  40fordor
also before you take it ALL Apart, just try taking the gen belt off, start the engine and see what happens,
it might be something else,You never know,
let hear how you made out,,,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

40fordor    -- 02-26-2010 @ 6:58 PM
  Super,
After the pulley is removed would I be able to idle the engine for a short time and see any wobble induced by a bent crankshaft end? Or would I need to put a dial indicator on it and rotate it with a hand crank (with the spark plugs removed) and check runout? I remember from one of your past comments that any unbalance in this area would induce vibration.
Don
My wife suggested 50mph and under is enough for a phaeton, it blows her hair!

supereal    -- 02-27-2010 @ 8:12 AM
  You will need a dial indicator to assess any runout. I wouldn't run the engine without the pulley, because you probably wouldn't be able to see the wobble, anyway. We grind and balance cranks in our shop, and I am often surprised at how many we find that are bent, or otherwise out of alignment. Very small bends can cause periodic vibrations. If you can see them with the naked eye, replacement may be necessary.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-27-2010 @ 4:06 PM
  40fordor
did you try running the engine without the belt,
was there any difference ?
this would eliminate the generator,and water pumps,from a vibration,or noise,a bad front generator bearing, you can grasp the fan and see if it moves,the generator pulley,do this with the belt off the engine,
do a little at a time, so you find the problem.before pulling the engine,
I knew a guy that changed a rear and a trans in a MODEL A,because it would not move to find out it was a just broken axle key., a 50 cent part !!!
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=848