Topic: 36 sedan fender on coupe

parrish    -- 02-23-2010 @ 7:01 AM
  I'm having a conversation with a 1936 3 window owner who says the rear fenders came from a 36 sedan. Anyone know how much modification this would have entailed to fit properly? Thanks in advance...

trjford8    -- 02-23-2010 @ 7:48 AM
  To make the fender fit you have to add some metal to the inside edge of the fender.

parrish    -- 02-23-2010 @ 11:16 AM
  So the orignal fender flange would be cut off; more metal added to the original flange at the welt area; the original flange then welded back to the sedan fender? Or a different approach? Regardless, was that a pretty effective replacement strategy?
Thanks for your info!

trjford8    -- 02-23-2010 @ 7:00 PM
  More metal added to the original flange.Is it worth it? It depends on who does the job,the quality of the job and what they charge to do it. Coupe /roadster fenders are very hard to find. A good pair could run as much as $4000.

parrish    -- 02-24-2010 @ 7:47 AM
  Holy Smoke! Makes it seem worthwhile doesn't it? Thanks!

tommorookian    -- 02-25-2010 @ 4:43 AM
  I have a template for patching coupe fenders along the bolt edge that would probably work to add the metal to the sedan fender. Here's the instructions for patching coupe fenders:

I used the EMS patch panel on the front edge of the fender. Then to patch the inner edge of the fender where it bolts up into the wheel well what I did was attach some 18 gauge to the wheel well with the normal bolt holes. I cut out the rusted edge of the fender and laid it over the new metal using the back horizontal bolt holes to line up the old sheet metal. I used 5 or 6 clamps to hold the old metal down. Drew a line to establish a cut off for the new piece. Removed the new piece and cut the line off. Took another piece of 18 gauge and, using the first piece as a template, made a "doubler" that extends 3/4" beyond the cutoff. This acts as a "backer" when welding the original fender to the new piece. You can use lots of clamps or drill small holes and use sheet metal screws to hold the whole contraption together for welding. Then weld the entire bolt edge of the 2 new pieces and go back and plug weld the screw holes.

This template will work for either side just by flipping it over.

If you want a template I can copy the one I have and send it. Say $10 to cover the cost of paper and postage?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=847