Topic: engine/transmission interchangeability.

35wilson    -- 05-02-2015 @ 1:24 PM
  I have a 1937 ford motor I am going to put in my 1933 pickup. I have a chance to buy a transmission from a late 40's early 50s truck. My question is: will this transmission bolt on to my 37 motor? What motors and transmissions are interchangeable?

35wilson    -- 05-02-2015 @ 3:05 PM
  Any advice would be appreciated. I am a little green on this topic. Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 05-02-2015 @ 3:38 PM
  I am not sure if it will fit but my question is do you want to go open drive (which is what a late 40's early 50's truck transmission is)? Your '37 motor should bolt right up to your '33 transmission.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-2-15 @ 3:40 PM

35wilson    -- 05-02-2015 @ 8:01 PM
  What does open drive transmission mean? I have a 33 transmission but it needs alot of work. Just thought the later transmission would makes things easier. Maybe I'm better off investing in the 33 transmission?

CharlieStephens    -- 05-02-2015 @ 10:18 PM
  If you look under a modern rear wheel drive car you will see an exposed drive shaft running between the transmission and rear end. This is an open drive. If you look under a stock '33 you will see a closed tube around the drive shaft, a closed drive rear end. In my opinion you are definitely better off staying with the stock '33 (unless there is more to the story). Is there any chance you are trying to also go from a 4 cylinder to a V8 engine? If that is the case be warned that the driveshaft is a different length. If you include your general location maybe someone could suggest a good transmission builder.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-2-15 @ 10:20 PM

35wilson    -- 05-03-2015 @ 2:28 AM
  Thanks for input Charlie. I was unaware of the different drive shaft lengths. The truck was originally a 4 cylinder, but because there is no motor, I decided to run an eight. Guess I will be looking for a v8 drive shaft and torque tube now. I am going to rebuild the 33 transmission as well. Thanks for help. I'm located in Ontario Canada

TomO    -- 05-03-2015 @ 4:13 AM
  I am not sure, but I think the rear end gear ratio is different from the 4 cylinder one. I suggest that you look for a complete rear end. That way you will have the V-8 gear set.

Tom

Grant    -- 05-03-2015 @ 4:45 AM
  I'm in Ontario and would be pleased to assist with locating parts.

519-666-2891 or flatheadfleming@hotmail.com

CharlieStephens    -- 05-03-2015 @ 10:11 AM
  If the '33 transmission you have is from the 4 cylinder engine it won't work with the V8, the case if different (but the guts and tower are the same). A bare V8 transmission case is worth about $100 or less and will take your existing gears. Some people have suggested getting the correct rear end gears for the V8. My suggestion would be to get a set of 3.54 gears which were not correct for the 4 or V8 but you will probably enjoy them more, comments anyone? I assume your '37 engine has 21 head studs and a provision to mount water pumps on the front of the block.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-3-15 @ 10:45 AM

35wilson    -- 05-03-2015 @ 12:51 PM
  Thanks so much for everyone's input. Charlie I just finished doing some reading about changing gears out of a 4 cylinder case into a v8 case. I had no idea that was possible. The v8 case I have is good but the gears are shot. This is great news for me because I have a good 4 cylinder transmission, plus my dad has a couple, so I should be good for parts. My dad also says he has a 33 rearend. I'm hoping it's for a v8 but will have to measure driveshaft to make sure. Things seem to be coming together. I love this page to get great information from people that know. Thanks again!

And yes Charlie the water pumps are mounted in the block

CharlieStephens    -- 05-03-2015 @ 10:04 PM
  Another thing you should at least consider. The later synchronizers were improved with 1939 and later being the best. They require the correct shift tower and shifter forks and fit better in the later cases. I don't have enough personal experience to say if they are worth the trouble but you might post the question. Back to my earlier question, the block does have 21 studs doesn't it?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-4-15 @ 11:49 PM

35wilson    -- 05-05-2015 @ 3:44 AM
  Yes Charlie it is a 21 stud engine. It has 36 heads on it with the water pumps removed from pump castings. The holes have been welded and the housings are just used to connect hoses. The pumps are in the block. I think I'll stick with the early gears for now. I just want to get the truck mobile. Then I can play around with it more. Thanks for input. Another question for you.......I need one exhaust manifold....are they interchangeable with later ones, or do I have to use pre 1938 manifolds? Seems to be harder to find early ones than later ones.

Thanks

Rob Wilson

trjford8    -- 05-05-2015 @ 5:23 PM
  You can use the later manifolds.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8464