Topic: Speedometer Bounce

6lucky13    -- 04-29-2015 @ 3:48 PM
  My speedometer ('36) accurately measures speed up to about 20-30 mph. Above that, the needle starts bouncing. Is there a fix I can easily perform?

Kerry

bo8109b    -- 04-29-2015 @ 5:17 PM
  Had a similar problem with my '48 in which I lubed the cable with graphite liquid. Disconected cable from the speedometer head . With the rear end on jack stands and engine idleing in first gear, held the cable end upright in one hand and dribbled 5 drops of graphite into the rotating cable end. Problem solved.

Drbrown    -- 04-29-2015 @ 8:00 PM
  Dry graphite works too. While you're at it, lubricate speedometer head and connection to drive train.

avrotom    -- 04-29-2015 @ 8:39 PM
  I worked with an old Boy in '63 that all he did was rebuild speedometers and instruments and make "cables etc. He would hold up the end of a new cable and turn it from the other end, and if it wobbled, he would straighten the inner cable at the end until it was perfect. He would do both ends very carefully. He said in the assembly process and the squaring process the ends get distorted a bit and that can cause problems.
Good old memories.

6lucky13    -- 05-07-2015 @ 2:46 PM
  Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I installed a new speedometer cable and casing about 750 miles earlier. Thought I lubricated it well using liquid graphite with the cable suspended straight. I don't recall when I first noticed the bouncing, but recently I disconnected the cable from the gauge end and added graphite...maybe not enough. I'll remove the cable completely and relubricate the cable, speedometer head and connection to the drive train, paying attention to avrotom's comment.

Kerry

TomO    -- 05-07-2015 @ 4:19 PM
  Your speedometer head may need lubrication also. If adding lube to the cable does not fix it, you may have to remove the speedometer from the instrument panel and see if there is a spot to add oil on the top of the housing. Most of them are covered by a small tin cup, that is pried out and there is a felt wick under it.

I clean the wick in mineral spirits and put a light oil like clock oil in the hole while the wick is drying. I put the clean wick back in, saturate it with oil and put the cover back on.

Tom

6lucky13    -- 07-11-2015 @ 3:11 PM
  TomO...I removed and relubricated the cable with Sly-Glyde but the speedmeter still bounces. There was no obvious bend in the cable. And, there is no obvious cap at the top of the gauge for lubrication. Can I drill a hole for lubrication? If so, where?

Thanks...Kerry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8458