Topic: Floor covering under seat

moldmaker    -- 04-29-2015 @ 9:04 AM
  Is there supposed to be any type of material to cover the metal floor under the seat on a '40 coupe? It appears the purchased rubber front floor mat only reaches to the front of the seat.

OLDTMR    -- 04-29-2015 @ 5:04 PM
  Mine has carpeting up to the rear of the new floor mat I just installed. Might have been LeBaron Bonney, not sure as it was in car when I bought it.

avrotom    -- 04-29-2015 @ 9:02 PM
  My '40 coupe had not been molested and the "rubber" carpet had no underlay and was right on the steel from the firewall to somewhere behind the seat. I have a picture of the carpet with a tape measure beside it if you want that pic, can do it tomorrow.

kubes40    -- 04-30-2015 @ 5:56 AM
  Under the seat? The simple answer - NO.
The rubber floor mat did have a jute backing authentically.
There was a rubber "filler" mat on each side of the seat, outward of the seat "feet" only. These "filler" mats trimmed out the sill area that one would see upon opening either door.
On the Coupe models, a thin tar paper type material extended approximately 21" from the trunk separator panels forward. That left the area beneath the seat "exposed". In other words - no covering.
The Business Coupe had carpeting in the rear area that expended forward as well. Still, no covering of the floor beneath the seat.
Hope this helps.
Oh, just as a side note... a myth long held is that the so called "standard" models (correctly termed The Ford V8 models) had a black mat while the deluxe models had a Benton Gray mat. This is patently false. ALL 1940 Ford passenger cars had a Benton Gray mat.

moldmaker    -- 04-30-2015 @ 6:14 AM
  Thanks all for the information. The small rubber 'filler' mats on the outsides of the seat explains why the wide opening in the metal sill extends for the entire length.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8456