Topic: paint color

tomatphx    -- 04-26-2015 @ 11:37 AM
  I am restoring a 34 five window coupe that I would like to paint coach maroon. Coach maroon is not listed for the five window. Does anyone have a copy of a letter put out by Ford to the dealers authorizing them to order colors not listed for certain bodies?
Thank you
Tom-tom@phoenixelectrictx.com

TomO    -- 04-27-2015 @ 6:31 AM
  I doubt that such a letter exists, but if anyone can give you the correct information, it would be the V-8 Club's Adviser. 1934 was the first year for enamel paint and restrictions on changes would be more strict than other years, because of the new process.

If it doesn't exist, think about these things:

Wrong color will cost you 16 points on the Concourse at an Early Ford V-8 Club meet. 950 or more is needed for a Dearborn Award. The color may pass in another judging venue like the AACA.

Will you be happy with another color? It is your car and you have to be happy with the results of your restoration.

A color that is correct for the year, but not for the model, will probably have little effect on the sale price.

Again, YOU must be satisfied with the results of the restoration.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-27-2015 @ 1:10 PM
  I agree with TomO. if you are not concerned about a trophy paint it coach maroon, You are the one that has to be happy with the color on your car. Besides, it's a great color.

kubes40    -- 04-27-2015 @ 4:46 PM
  You do not mention if this is a standard or deluxe model. Coach Maroon was available on all standard model passenger cars. Apparently that was not the case for the deluxe models.

I don't agree with the others whom have thus far chimed in here in regard to ultimate value. If (I am assuming) you are attempting to restore your car properly, the ultimate "consumer" should you decide to sell, would most likely be interested in just that - a properly restored vehicle.
If on the other hand, you are simply attempting to make a nice "driver, then yes, paint it what you like the best.
In my experience there is a huge difference between a 999 point car and one of say 975 / 980 points.
I say do it once, do it correctly.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-28-2015 @ 7:47 AM
  There is a local guy that swore he had a certain color on his Ford in his college days. When he restored his car he said he was going to paint it that color, even though everyone told him that it was not a Ford color. He went ahead and painted it the wrong color anyway. Every time he shows the car an argument occurs. Judges need proof and if that is the direction you are headed then you should paint it a Ford color. Like others have mentioned, it's your car and if you don't care about judging or resale, paint it the color of your choice. Remember "it takes the same amount of work to paint a car the wrong color as it is to paint it the right color".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8447