Topic: How to adjust door gaps on 1941 coupe

smokinjoe    -- 04-25-2015 @ 7:53 PM
  Hi Again
I am trying to adjust the door gaps on my 41. The drivers door needs to come out a bit on top by the cowl but I can't get it to ajust.Hinges are good and tight (had it off) I can't really see a way of adjusting it.No room for a shim anywhere.How did they do it ?
Thanks Again for your help
Joe

ford38v8    -- 04-25-2015 @ 8:02 PM
  Assemblyline procedure: Close the door on a 2x4.

Alan

Drbrown    -- 04-25-2015 @ 8:11 PM
  My '42-'48 Ford Service Manual describes a series of steps a body mechanic can go through to correct the fitting of a car door. To the best of my memory (without the book in front of me) none of them include the use of shims and largely rely on bending procedures using blocks of wood and wood braces placed against the garage wall. I hope you can access a manual for your '41 as that might have similar instructions. If you can't let me know and I forward my '42-'48 pages.

Drbrown    -- 04-26-2015 @ 11:15 AM
  Here's what pages S-10 and S-11 of my '43-'48 Ford Shop Manual says (paraphrased):

"Warped Doors: First try to find cause. Either remove or lower window glass to prevent stress on same. Inspect underside to be sure all chassis-to-body pads/bolts are in-place.

Wrap piece of wood in cloth to avoid damage to paint finish. Place over the interior edge of door frame location, between door pillar and door, either top area or lower area, as needed to correct warp, then push on opposite edge of door. If door too rigid to correct warp, place the wood block as described above then using a jack and wood post between the point of desired pressure AND an adjacent workshop wall. Use the jack to slowly and gently apply pressure against the door frame in the desired location. Do not buckle the door face or frame, or the shop wall. Use a larger piece of wood at door and/or workshop wall to distribute the pressure and avoid damage to either. Use a pad of felt to protect the door.

When done, the flange of the door should have a uniform clearance top and bottom. Adjust door latch and bumpers as required. Then centralize the door in the door frame by resetting the hinges. To move the door closer to the latch, and if a hinge bending bar is not available, place a thin piece of wood in the hinge and force the door closed. To move the door closer to the hinge post, use a clamp on the protruding hinge and force the door to an open position.

Rear doors, if any, may be adjusted by loosening and adjusting the hinges and striker plates.

(adjustments of door strikers, straps and bumpers are also discussed in the manual)

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-26-15 @ 11:16 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8446