Topic: Voltage Regulator Adjustment

dcgriff    -- 04-25-2015 @ 7:31 AM
  I installed an 8V battery on my early '47 w/G motor. Can I adjust the regulator for the required output to keep the 8V battery charged by moving the outer contact from the Current Limiter coil closer to the coil. I'm guessing I need about 8.8-9.4V. I've adjusted the arm slightly and gotten the voltage from 7.8 to 8, measured across the battery terminals.

TomO    -- 04-25-2015 @ 9:48 AM
  Increasing spring tension increases the voltage.

Making these adjustment should only be done with the proper test equipment. Incorrect adjustments can cause the generator to self destruct.

I am not in favor of the 8 volt battery as the 6 volt battery will turn the engine over fast enough to start it and you will not have the early failure of light bulbs and other equipment on the car.

If your starter is turning the engine over too slow to start it, you probably have 12 volt battery cables and are dropping too much voltage in the cables. 6 volt cables are available at NAPA and other parts stores.

Tom

cliftford    -- 04-25-2015 @ 12:10 PM
  An 8 volt battery is just a band aid cure for another problem[s], such as bad connections, grounds or too small cables, as TomO pointed out. If every thing is up to snuff, electrically. a good 6 volt Optima will do the job just fine.

dcgriff    -- 04-25-2015 @ 1:30 PM
  Thanks to you both for the advice. I will replace the negative cable, which appears to be very old, with a new 6V cable. I think the wire mesh positive ground cable is okay. I've had 2 Exide 6V batteries that wouldn't take a charge after about 3 or 4 months, so I put a different brand 8V battery in, but I'll take your advice and put a 6V back in - another brand. I've rewired and put in a new generator and regulator, which seem to be working properly, so, hopefully, that'll work fine. Again, Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 04-25-2015 @ 3:03 PM
  Get the ground cable also. They tend to corrode internally at the battery terminal, even though they may look good. As me how I know.

Alan

Old Henry    -- 04-25-2015 @ 9:11 PM
  The braided 6 volt ground cable is also bigger than 12 volt ones. I'd replace that too if you're not sure you have a 6 volt one. And be sure you have the bigger one from the engine block to the firewall with good clean bare metal on the fire wall where it connects too.

TomO    -- 04-26-2015 @ 7:51 AM
  I would check the cable from the solenoid to the starter also. The ground connection for the starter is the mount on the oil pan, if it or the starter have been painted where they mate, you could have a poor connection.

The 6 volt optima is the battery that a lot of us use. It is a sealed gel cell battery and does not self discharge the way a lead acid battery does. It also has the advantage of not leaking acid all over your battery tray. Amazon.com seems to have the best price on them.

I don't understand why the Exide batteries failed so soon. Do you leave your battery connected when your car is not in use? It is a bad practice to do this. Your battery could drain down due to the electric clock or other electrical drains,or your car could develop ashort and start a fire.

Draining any battery to where it is completely dead, will ruin the battery way before its time. A battery maintainer will keep the battery at full charge and extend the life of the battery.

Tom

39topless    -- 04-29-2015 @ 2:04 PM
  If only getting the engine to turn over faster at start up is your reason for the 8V battery, go to this link and see what rumble seat came up with. A secondary 12 V system just for the initial starter cranking. He was da' man. Good luck, Phil
http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/12vboost.htm

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8441