Topic: 221 flathead PVC system

Gary M.    -- 04-21-2015 @ 4:53 PM
  Hi guys, I am installing a PVC system on my 39 flathead by using a vacuum plate between the carb and manifold. Im going directly into the oil fill cap by using a rubber grommet and a PVC valve with a 90 degree plastic elbow on top. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type or part number of the PVC valve that works best in this application? Im sure this idea has been used by many before so Im hoping to skip the experimental stage of figuring out the right PVC valve for the job. Thanks....

David J    -- 04-22-2015 @ 5:30 AM
  Does your oil pan have a vent in the right front corner ? Does your engine have an actual rear seal or is it the stock 39 setup ? You are talking about hooking straight manifold vacuum to the oil fill pipe here . How do you plan to filter the incoming air ? There will definitely be that AND if yes to either of the first 2 questions you will be sucking dust-cr*p into your engine . Do a search on this as this is a well hashed over subject - especially on Fordbarn .

Gary M.    -- 04-22-2015 @ 5:36 PM
  I understand the mechanics of how the engine is ventilated with the screen on the oil pan and the vented oil cap,however, the engine has some blow by and it stinks up the interior when I take the car out. I only put about 50 miles a year on the car so I am not worried about dirt going into the crankcase.The engine could use a rebuild but for as often as I use the car combined with the fact that my busy lifestyle doesn't alot me the time to do the rebuild job, I feel that this temporary fix might help pull some of the smoke away that comes into the car. Hopefully someday when I have time I can rebuild the engine and drive a smoke free car.

David J    -- 04-22-2015 @ 7:57 PM
  Your car - your call . Consider the old trick for this though . Run a hose from the oil fill tube to the air cleaner body . There used to be kits like that with flexible metal hoses . This will be easier to do and will get rid of the stink WITHOUT sucking dirt into the engine .

wmsteed    -- 04-23-2015 @ 10:32 AM
  GaryM, your plan to install a PCV system on your engine has many flaws, the oil fill tube/fuel pump area is not the place to install a PCV..
For a quick fix, a large hose, 3/4", attached to the breather cap, then running over to the top of the air cleaner will do a better job of drawing the blow-bye away from the passenger area.
Another method to draw the blow-bye away is to attach a 3/4' metal flex tube to the breather cap, extending the flex tube down under the engine.. This will function as a "road draft tube" drawing the fumes away from the passenger area.
Both of the above modifications was very common during the 1930'-40's.. The auto parts stores sold kits to make the modifications..
If you are dead set on using a PCV system, attach the PCV to the crank case vent located on the left front of the pan. You will have to fabricate a baffle in the pan breather to stop oil from being drawn into the PCV system.
Using the above system will draw clean air through the engine and into the intake manifold.
The likely-hood of drawing debris through the rear main seal via the bell-housing clutch area, is to far fetched to even consider.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Gary M.    -- 04-23-2015 @ 11:25 AM
  There is also another option, years ago you could buy a kit with a small blower that would force clean air into your crank case to expel the excess smoke. These kits are impossible to find now. I think ill try a few methods and see which one works best. Thanks for the input...

David J    -- 04-23-2015 @ 11:26 AM
  You have obviously never put air pressure into the oil fill on a stock labyrinth rear seal flathead and checked where it came out . TWO places - Vent AND rear seal on 35 - 41 motors and ALL of it comes out the rear seal on 32-34's .Ever drive a freshly started stock 34 that had been sitting for 40 years with LOTS of blowby and the floorboards etc removed ? If you had ever seen how much blowby can come out of the clutch inspection hole you wouldn't be saying what you are here . BTW the vent was RF not LF last time I checked . Also pretty sure the pan gasket seals the vent passage so it gets air in the top of the tube sticking up in the RF of the valley under the intake . Exception to that is crossing 34 & 35 stuff but that doesn't apply here . Ever happen to notice the vents in the little clutch inspection cover ? Why do you think they are there ? Henry was really into wasting manufacturing time ?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8432