Topic: Dipstick Boss

MG    -- 04-14-2015 @ 6:25 PM
  While checking the oil level in my '34 today, I noticed that the dipstick tube was loose and turned in the tube boss. I always assumed that the dipstick tube was a friction fit into the boss on the pan. Come to find out that the tube is threaded into the boss. Am I correct assuming that the tube should be tightened - scr*w*d/turned in until tight - into the boss? Needless to say, if this is any kind of adjustment, it will impact the oil level reading on the dipstick....

This message was edited by MG on 4-14-15 @ 6:39 PM

fla48    -- 04-14-2015 @ 7:20 PM
  MG,
On my 59AB, I tighten the tube finger tight. The oil level should read correctly if the tube is seated properly. I think this also applies to the 34. At any rate, it should not be loose.

ken ct.    -- 04-14-2015 @ 9:26 PM
  Hey MG , if its backed out some your probably putting too much oil in there now. Just screw it back in and it will be correct level. Its 1/8" PT. I had some nos ones a while back but all gone now. Should be ok if tightened back up. Unless threads are messed up. Good luck and good to see you on PC again. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 04-15-2015 @ 5:26 AM
  A spot of black RTV on the cleaned and dry threads of the tube (threads in the boss on the oil pan should be cleaned and dried as much as possible as well), a small piece of rubber around the shaft and an appropriate pair of pliers on the rubber to snug the tube just a bit more than finger tight, will both help minimize excessive marking of your flathead's territory and prevent it from backing out again over time. Tightening a smidge beyond finger tight will fundamentally have negligible-to-no impact on your oil level reading.

It should be tight and the threads are not for adjustment.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-15-15 @ 6:27 AM

David J    -- 04-15-2015 @ 7:06 AM
  Like already posted - just tighten it up . As a side note 34 is the first year of the threaded pipe . The boss on a 33 pan looks the same but is not threaded . Dipstick goes right into the boss on a 33 .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8419