Topic: 35 Ford spoke rims

backage    -- 04-13-2015 @ 9:55 AM
  Hello, I am new here. Just got my first 1935 ford 4 door. Original flathead 3 speed. was sitting for awhile but running good. Changed gas tank and line and fuel pump. Have a wobble sometimes in the left front tire. Just wondering if anyone new of a place on Long Island NY where I could get them balanced. Thought I would try that first. Thanks

keith oh    -- 04-13-2015 @ 2:10 PM
  Jack the wheel up, move it to see if there is looseness anywhere in the steering or other linkage. I doubt if balancing the wheel will have any effect on wobbling.

TomO    -- 04-14-2015 @ 6:18 AM
  Welcome to the Forum. The 35 Ford is a classy looking ride.

I am not sure if modern tire balances will be able to mount your rims. Maybe one of the other 1935 owners will jump in and let you know if there are any special adapters needed.

If no special adapters are needed any tire dealer can balance the tires.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-15-2015 @ 8:06 AM
  Since you just got the car and it appears it was off the road for a while, do you know the age of the tires? If the tires are old and sat for some time they probably have flat spots in them. Check the tires for weather checking or any lumps or bumps on the sidewalls. You may be due for new tires. A tire shop can balance the tires on a modern machine, but if the tires are old they will not touch them due to government rules and liability.
The advice to check all the front end components is also good advice.

1934 Ford    -- 04-16-2015 @ 8:21 AM
  You can test all your wheels for trueness by mounting them on the front brake drum. First test the drum to make sure it's true then test your wheels with fixed probe set to 1/16 at the wheel at the outside of the tire bead area.
If the wheels are true, any good tire shop can mount and balance them. At one time tire changers wouldn't do our bolt pattern, but those day are gone.
As said, old bias ply tires do get flat spots. Sometimes they smooth out in a short hot drive, but if the car has been sitting for many years, get new tires.

1934 Ford's since 1972

CharlieStephens    -- 04-16-2015 @ 10:07 AM
  Be sure you find a tire shop that knows what they are doing. Modern air powered tire changers can bend a wire wheel easily. It is actually best to break they down by using tire irons, either yourself or find a shop that can do it.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8417