Topic: Broken end of speedometer cable

Bongo    -- 04-10-2015 @ 6:17 PM
  I want to replace a speedometer cable which is broken inside a 1939 ford transmission, (or the opposite place that it inserts under the car). I am unable to retrieve the broken piece out so I can't insert the new cable. Any ideas?

ken ct.    -- 04-10-2015 @ 6:33 PM
  How about a magnet ?? or sharp pointed needle nose pliers. How far in is it broken off ?? ken ct

ken ct.    -- 04-10-2015 @ 6:36 PM
  Or just replace the turtle ??? ken ct.

Bongo    -- 04-10-2015 @ 8:04 PM
  It's broken off below where it can be grabbed by a needle nosed pliers. What is a turtle? A magnet wouldn't wok as the broken piece is below the surface of surrounding metal casing. Any more ideas

ken ct.    -- 04-10-2015 @ 9:50 PM
  A turtle is the gizmo that the broken pc is in. Has 2 small bolts and mounts to the drive shaft.They are avalible many outlets , just get one with the same #'s embossed on it. I assume you are talking about the trans end of cable. ken ct. A strong enough magnet still might pull it out.

ken ct.    -- 04-10-2015 @ 9:53 PM
  I would also replace the cable & sheath. there might be a burr or some other reason the cable broke. ken ct.

TomO    -- 04-12-2015 @ 7:21 AM
  If you remove the two bolts the hold the turtle to the torque tube, you may be able to shake out the broken piece. A magnet may also be able to pull it out as the turtle housing is pot metal and non-magnetic.

Tom

39topless    -- 04-15-2015 @ 12:23 PM
  How about a strong stream of air or water.? Can you get a vacuum hose, fitted to the opening, in there? I would agree with others that before replacing the cable, find out why it broke. I had one break because the gauge froze up and the cable could not turn.

supereal    -- 04-19-2015 @ 2:16 PM
  It appears that the broken end of the vable is stuck inside the driving gear in the "turtle". The gear snaps into place, and can be removed to air extraction of the cable. If you can't get it out, they are available from C&G for only $14. Count the teeth on the gear to order a replacement. There is usually a number on the cap of the turtle, but the gear may not match. The common gears have either 18 or 19 teeth. I'd order a cable and sheath assembly. At C&G, it is only $22, and covers all models 32-48.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8408